PDA

View Full Version : Tank placement.. Too close to window?

Spraycj
05/25/2018, 06:31 PM
Hey everyone..

I'm getting back into this after about a 5 year hiatus.. Just ordered a Red Sea E170 today.

I wanted to get opinions on placement on the tank. If you look at the photo I've attached, my instinct from having a tank before that was constantly plagued with hair algae tells me to place the tank as far from a window as possible (which would be to the left of the TV).. From a pure aesthetics point of view, putting the tank in the corner, to the right of the TV next to that window, has some appeal.

What do you guys think? Is near the window just asking for trouble?

NO3
05/25/2018, 08:52 PM
Spray paint the outside right side of the tank glass where sunlight would come in. Cool thing about spray can paint is its cheap. If you dont like it.....razor blade can 100% scrape off the paint in 3mins, no staining

Running blue actinic light at night next to your window will have all your neighbors thinking your growing marijuana. My tank is in my morning room and about 60 houses can see a blue glowing light at night when they drive by my house.. Every Halloween I have at least 6 people ask while getting candy at my door, "what the heck are you growing in your morning room".....and I just laugh and explain its a reef tank and not a home grown marijuana farm. LOL!!

Spraycj
05/26/2018, 06:08 AM
Lol! Yes I remember from before the blue glow at tonight that could be seen from outside my house!

HarrisonMG
05/26/2018, 01:06 PM
From experience, you have options:
Get it as far away from the window as possible
Have it near the window but in a place that never gets direct sunlight any time of year (what I have done with my 75)
Or use something to block the light (I printed out a background on a poster printer for my 30g and laminated it; tank got direct sunlight 8 hours a day and not a hint of algae

Idbasically say as long as it's hard to see your fish with the lights off in tank and room during the day, you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Psychomantix
05/26/2018, 07:26 PM
Spray paint the outside right side of the tank glass where sunlight would come in.

or, you know, you can just spray paint the window. Will work even better!

Deedles
05/26/2018, 07:28 PM
I painted the back of mine with cheap acrylic paint from Walmart and a dollar tree roller. No problems with the light from the window.

oldhead
05/27/2018, 09:48 AM
Pretty sure the sunlight wasn't your source of the hair algae problem.

RioReefr
05/27/2018, 06:15 PM
According to the specs, E170 has 37 gallons for the main DT....which isn't much when it comes to temperature control.
Where is your A/C unit located in the room? Are you planning on getting a chiller?
If your heater/chilller craps out while you are away....and it is hot/cold outside you are more likely to have more detrimental problems by having it close to a window.

I don't think it is good idea putting an aquarium near a window: Sunlight, erractic temperature changes, dust particles, etc.

HarrisonMG
05/27/2018, 06:17 PM
Oh yeah and a black side would absorb quite a bit of energy wouldn't it.

HarrisonMG
05/27/2018, 06:19 PM
Where I am it's that occasional summer day where we don't keep the a/c on and it gets to the mid 80s in the upstairs.

I have a chiller on my QT cuz that's in a room where the temperature is basically whatever it is outside, but nothing like that on the DT.

Currently have the shades down and the lights off to combat algae