PDA

View Full Version : Coral Depth Chart (?)

NO3
05/28/2018, 09:27 AM
REVISED & EDITED
Found a chart that's somewhat sophomoric at:
https://www.thatpetplace.com/articles/coral-requirements-chart

If you find MORE SPECIFIC.....plz post

ORIGINAL POST:

Researching Google looking for a CHART listing LOTS of popular corals and at what DEPTH they naturally thrive at.

Such a chart would be PRICELESS to reefer when shopping for corals and they come across a coral they wanna buy but know little about it.

For example:

Corals "blah blah blah" = thrive at a depth of 5-10ft below the oceans surface = these are HIGH LIGHT corals

But corals "blah blah blah" = thrive at depths of 30+ feet = LOW LIGHT corals

*"blah blah blah" would be very specific coral listings, like Acros, montis, blastos, Duncan's, zoanthids, frogspawn, etc etc....list goes on and on.

PLEASE SHARE this chart if one exists
If one doesn't exist, IT SHOULD :)

dreaddinit
05/28/2018, 09:30 AM
In researching Google looking for a CHART listing LOTS of popular corals and at what DEPTH they naturally thrive at.

For example:

Corals "blah blah blah" = thrive at a depth of 5-10ft below the oceans surface = these are HIGH LIGHT corals

But corals "blah blah blah" = thrive at depths of 30+ feet = LOW LIGHT corals

*blah blah blah would be very specific coral listings, like Acros, blastos, Duncan's, zoanthids, frogspawn, etc etc.

PLEASE SHARE this chart if one exists

If one doesn't exist, IT SHOULD :)

Yes! Light and water flow would be helpful. Not just high or low flow but a description of where they actually live. Turbulent waters in waves etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gargoylenest
05/28/2018, 09:34 AM
liveaquaria carry a lot of useful information on corals placement and flow.

NO3
05/28/2018, 09:39 AM
FOUND ONE! But its kinda sophomoric and basic BUT a good start if you know nothing about the coral:

https://www.thatpetplace.com/articles/coral-requirements-chart

JTL
05/28/2018, 09:46 AM
You need to know what the desirable PAR is for a given coral at a given depth. Terms like high light or low light are way to subjective imo. I have often thought that it would be nice if all lights came with a chart showing the PAR and various depths and intensities than users could set their tank up accordingly and compare settings with other users. Reef Breeders is in the process of doing this in a spread sheet format.

darelmac
05/28/2018, 10:03 AM
Age of lights being used also impact effectiveness of the fixture. I use led multispectrem light fixtures, three different ones so I am able to vary the spectrum and intensity from one end of the aquarium to the other. As the lights have aged I can tell a difference in their output just visually.

Sent from my LGL82VL using Tapatalk

JTL
05/28/2018, 10:22 AM
Age of lights being used also impact effectiveness of the fixture. I use led multispectrem light fixtures, three different ones so I am able to vary the spectrum and intensity from one end of the aquarium to the other. As the lights have aged I can tell a difference in their output just visually.

It takes a very long time for leds to lose much power. Iirc end of life for an led is when it reaches a point were the lumens are only 70% of what they were when new aka L-70. I believe when leds are said to "last 50,000 hours" that refers to when they reach L-70. I figure it this way...I don't run my lights at 100% power so that gives me room to ramp it up if necessary. I will either have left the hobby or purchased new lights long before I need to worry about it.

darelmac
05/28/2018, 11:09 AM
True. The lights I have I did not purchase new so I have no idea how old they are. I use a led sign at my business that is led. It was supposed to good for some outrageous life time on the led. They began to fail within five years and visable dimmer within that same time frame. I aquired the led's in my aquarium and do not know their age but they beat what I used to use, on that I agree 100%. What I have seems good quality and I have not measured their actual output but one is visable weaker than the other. It could be something in the circuitry rather than the led's themselves. That is actually probably the actual problem. LEDs are not always what they are advertised to be. That was my point.