PDA

View Full Version : New Aquarium Experiment

Chris918
05/29/2018, 01:02 AM
Hello friends!

For all my aquariums I have used Red Sea salt (blue bucket) to achieve the parameters that I find desirable in my tanks. All of my tanks have 430 ppm Ca, 8 dKH, and around 1300 ppm Mg. I keep nutrients pretty low and things seem to work fine.

Now for my experiment. I'm converting a mixed tank I have into an SPS tank. Instead of using my normal salt, I figured I'd go with Red Sea's coral pro, which has elevated levels of the foundation elements for "increased coral growth." I'd like to see if there is any noticeable difference.

All of my corals in the current tank will be going to a new system with the exact same parameters. The fish in that tank, only a Royal Gramma and a Blue Damsel, will be staying. Will the changes in foundation elements, which will increase overtime via water changes with the new salt, negatively impact the fish?

Thank you all!

mcgyvr
05/29/2018, 04:33 AM
Will the changes in foundation elements, which will increase overtime via water changes with the new salt, negatively impact the fish?

Highly unlikely..

homer1475
05/29/2018, 04:44 AM
Umm all it has is elevated ALK, CAL, and MAG.

After reading red seas "add" for the salt on their website. who in their right mind keeps ALK around 11.5 to 12.5? According to their chart that's the ideal ALK for SPS frags. Funny as NSW is around 7.5.

I wouldn't buy into the hype. Most commercial aquariums as well as many tanks of the month use regular old purple box Instant Ocean. Heck even Jason Fox, the name in SPS corals uses IORC, and keeps his ALK around 8.5.

sde1500
05/29/2018, 06:45 AM
I wouldn't keep ALK thathigh, but don't mind that IORC mixes that high, helps maintain target levels with less need for dosing.

FaithKlim
05/29/2018, 11:29 AM
I find Red Sea coral pro mixes at ALK too high... My new experiment is to blend the Coral Pro with the blue bucket so I can stop dosing acid buffer to bring the Alk down. Ordered a bucket over the weekend.

thegrun
05/30/2018, 09:45 AM
Elevated levels of alkalinity and calcium definitely increase stony coral growth rates, although at a cost of less color.