PDA

View Full Version : LFS with Aptasia

Djbeasley05
05/29/2018, 07:26 PM
Moving to Cincinnati and checked out a local saltwater store. Their frag tanks are loaded with aptasia! Like hundreds of them growing all over their coral. I have not had a single outbreak of aptasia because I am so picky with where I get my coral from. Should I avoid this store like the plague or is there something I can do to make sure I donít introduce it in my tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pslreefer
05/29/2018, 07:42 PM
Best to avoid unless you have a cbb, then itís free food lol except then they get in your overflows.

lapin
05/29/2018, 07:50 PM
Dont buy livestock from them. Before swapping frags with the locals ask them if they by livestock from that store. This will help but not 100% guarantee.

NO3
05/29/2018, 08:48 PM
I live in Cincy....what road are they on So I know who you're talking about....

Djbeasley05
05/29/2018, 08:51 PM
I live in Cincy....what road are they on So I know who you're talking about....

Monfort aquarium and pet store

NO3
05/29/2018, 10:02 PM
Two best LFS are

Aquarium Artisans for coral and fish
World of Pets in Florence KY best for fish

Djbeasley05
05/29/2018, 10:03 PM
Two best LFS are

Aquarium Artisans for coral and fish
World of Pets in Florence KY best for fush

Awesome. Thank you

aclinville
05/29/2018, 10:36 PM
I always go to world of pets.

steallife904
05/30/2018, 09:00 AM
I don't think I would risk it either but you could just remove the frags from there plugs, dip and I would think you would be aptasia free. I don't think they attach to the coral itself.

Djbeasley05
05/30/2018, 04:46 PM
I was given an idea to have a 5 gallon QT, put 5 or 6 peppermint shrimp in and let them go to town for a week on any coral before moving to my DT. Thoughts?

sde1500
05/31/2018, 08:53 AM
Still no guarantee they get it all. Some peppermints don't even bother eating them. Only thing guaranteed to eat them are Berghia nudibranches. But still, why risk it? Unless they just have rock bottom prices, then I guess maybe? But I'd get nudis, then a QT tank and give them a few weeks.

MondoBongo
05/31/2018, 12:48 PM
am i the only one who doesn't really worry about aiptasia?

good water quality is usually enough to keep it from spreading in my experience.

my QT/grow out system in my basement had tons of them at one point. i never saw a single one in my DT. i would probably nuke them in QT with something like aiptasia x, kalk paste, or joe's juice. remove the corals from the frag plugs or rocks they're on, and call it a day.

sde1500
05/31/2018, 01:20 PM
am i the only one who doesn't really worry about aiptasia?

good water quality is usually enough to keep it from spreading in my experience.

my QT/grow out system in my basement had tons of them at one point. i never saw a single one in my DT. i would probably nuke them in QT with something like aiptasia x, kalk paste, or joe's juice. remove the corals from the frag plugs or rocks they're on, and call it a day.

I donít stress about the ones I see in my tank. I blast the ones I can. Others I canít reach I see some and go. Idk what causes them to die in my tank as others live but I donít question it. 2.5 years in and very lax on maintenance on this tank and they havenít reached anything close to plague levels.

JZinCO
05/31/2018, 01:57 PM
Might as well drop a suggestion to the owners of that fishstore.
A local one here had aptasia in every tank. Once they got on top of it, they ended up becoming the place to get filefish and I credit my DT to being aiptasia free because of their problem/opportunity.

ReefWreak
05/31/2018, 10:02 PM
I generally wouldn't sweat it if you like the livestock or the store or something else there. You should make sure to have some kalk powder on hand, so that when you take the coral home and put it in your tank, you can kill off the aiptasia ASAP. I wouldn't want to get aiptasia in my tank and have them spread, however I also wouldn't write the store off since it's pretty easy to kill a few aiptasia here and there with kalk powder.

Make a tiny paste of kalk and tank water, spread it on the area where the aiptasia are, and boom, gone. My maxima clam that I picked up at a swap recently had a small aiptasia on it's shell. I didn't even notice for a few days. Once I noticed, I pulled the clam out, put paste in that area of the shell, made sure it got in there nice and good with a dental pick, rinsed in a small tub of tank water, put the clam back in the tank, and it has been doing fantastically since then. And I haven't seen any aiptasia anywhere in my tank either.

I would NOT want to get aiptasia spreading in my tank, but as long as you're aware and cautious, you should be okay.

FullBoreReefer
06/01/2018, 11:16 AM
What store doesn’t?

Djbeasley05
06/01/2018, 01:27 PM
What store doesnít?

3 that I go to in the St. Louis area. Havenít seen a single Aptasia in their frag tanks.

FullBoreReefer
06/01/2018, 01:52 PM
That’s pretty unheard of in this hobby lol

smartwater101
06/01/2018, 03:51 PM
Thatís pretty unheard of in this hobby lol

In the 10 years of living in Los Angeles I have not seen a single LFS with Aptasia anywhere near their coral frags. And there are plenty of LFS here.

In general, Aptasia isn't all that uncommon. But having a store that doesn't take care of that issue is definitely a rarity.

Joe0813
06/01/2018, 04:29 PM
Can't you just dip the coral

sde1500
06/01/2018, 05:41 PM
Can't you just dip the coral

If you know of a dip that would kill aiptasia and not the coral I think everyone would love to know.

Joe0813
06/01/2018, 09:13 PM
If you know of a dip that would kill aiptasia and not the coral I think everyone would love to know.

Explains why I got those stupid things then :lmao: