PDA

View Full Version : Pests? Planaria?

dano1
06/01/2018, 05:55 PM
Back into the hobby after being out for a while. Lost a lot of sps aquaculture frags. Now seeing these take over the tank.
Any ideas? TIA

billdogg
06/02/2018, 07:04 AM
Looks like flatworms to me. You options for removal are many.

1. Manual removal using a piece of rigid airline tubing and a length of regular tubing into a filter sock. Time consuming, to say the least, and you will never get all of them.

2. Carefully remove any rocks and corals that you can and give them a 10-15 second dip in temperature matched ro/di water. The osmotic pressure change will kill them and they'll drop off by the hundreds.

This is from a 10 second dip n swish of my elegance coral
https://i.imgur.com/HlxbvWpl.jpg

3. Flat Worm Exit - Can be very effective but still won't necessarily get them all, and any that are unaffected will continue to reproduce. I resorted to using it when my tank was infested. First round was at suggested strength, a week later at 2x. Didn't get them all.

4. Natural predators. I started with a green coris wrasse that did help, but eventually went rogue and started taking out other fish. I now have a pair of Blue Star Leopard wrasses that have completely rid my system of them. As an added bonus, they are one of the most visually striking fishes I have kept in 30 years of reefing, and seem to be the ideal reef inhabitant.

hth

AlSimmons
06/02/2018, 09:29 AM
They look kind of like Nerite snail eggs to me.

mcgyvr
06/02/2018, 10:12 AM
Holy crap... :facepalm:
More blue please..

I agree that bad picture does not seem to be showing flatworms but may be snail eggs. Hard to tell though with all that blue..

In the future please turn the blue channel of your lights off or way down.. Proper color rendition can be important for identification not to mention too much blue also messes with your cameras ability to focus properly..

dano1
06/05/2018, 07:40 PM
Sorry. Taken in the morning : /. I have had an explosion of nerites with long strings of egg sacks showing up in the glass. Wasn’t sure if it was the snails.Harmless or detrimental?
Thanks.

NO3
06/05/2018, 08:36 PM
This guy will take care of whatever your pest is: flatworms or eggs. Thus guy will devour them:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+2285&pcatid=2285

mcgyvr
06/06/2018, 04:32 AM
Sorry. Taken in the morning : /. I have had an explosion of nerites with long strings of egg sacks showing up in the glass. Wasn’t sure if it was the snails.Harmless or detrimental?
Thanks.

Snails are harmless..

oshanickreef
06/06/2018, 08:36 AM
They are def not flatworms! I have them. I think they are eggs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk