PDA

View Full Version : Foxface ok with LPS?

Chicagoreef2016
06/02/2018, 03:31 PM
So upgraded tanks, want to get some bigger cooler fish. I hear Foxface's are good at eating pretty much any algae, but they can nip at LPS and maybe SPS per liveaquaria? I am leaning towards a foxface versus trying emerald crabs/or whatever other algae eating creatures. I had an emerald that I found picking away at one of my SPS one night so first time shame on you, 2nd time shame on me....

What has everyone's experience with this fish been relative to nipping at corals? The magnificent foxface is a nice looking fish. I brought my old rocks from my old tank into my new tank, and they had some bubble algae which is a big reason why I am looking at this fish FYI.

Cheers.

NO3
06/02/2018, 05:19 PM
This is just my opinion....

Ime when a foxface gets towards the end of its life....5yrs...10yrs....whatever. Their eyesight goes bad and they mistake any LPS green in color as algae and they eat it.

drstvk
06/02/2018, 05:31 PM
I've never had a problem with my foxface. He doesn't eat much algae, either, unfortunately.

Tripod1404
06/02/2018, 06:17 PM
Mine started nipping brain corals and got re-homed. It wasn't old or starving. It was a fat and healthy foxface that just went rogue.

FaithKlim
06/03/2018, 05:21 AM
I have a one spot foxface. Never interested in corals. I recently added a bicolor angel. Was told its 50/50 he may nip corals... I keep nori for them in the innovative marine magnetic clip and it seems to keep both interested enough to graze at throughout the day. No corals affected by either fish.

josephxsxn
06/03/2018, 06:24 AM
Never had a problem with my Foxface Spot so far (1year+.) Kept it with everything from frogspawn, brain corals, cyrinas, leathers and sps.

Heuristic
06/03/2018, 11:34 AM
I'm at a 1.5 years with a fox face and he's never touched a coral that I know of

cincyjim
06/04/2018, 05:27 AM
I have a Foxface 1 spot and never seen any issues with it all. Just eats like a pig mostly!

Nimitz87
06/04/2018, 07:36 AM
I just got a fox face and added my first corals yesterday, so far so good.

I feed her 1/2 sheet of nori a day, and she picks at everything in the tank, glass, rock, overflow etc. hasn't touched the sponge or LPS yet.

*crosses fingers*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyu78yNlbSA

here she is being a pig. my nori holder isa 3-4" piece of PVC with a hair curler over top of it, it keeps the nori secure but still allows them easy access to get to it. it also seems more natural with how they pick at the rock vs cutting it into strips.

keeps the tank super clean, and easy to spot when it's empty.

Silly clownfish
06/05/2018, 12:23 PM
I have had my one spot for about 3 and a half years. Definitely no issues with LPS or SPS. I do think he may have had a role in the demise of some zoas, although I can’t be sure. I suspect that in going after hair algaearound/between polys he may have consumed or at least injured the small zoa colonies. That said, I am not a big fan of zoas, so just did not put any more in the tank. Both frags I had seemed to always have hair algae growing on them.

FoxFace Fish
06/05/2018, 04:45 PM
I learned that the fox faces do not Normally nip. But I had one who did and a friend who had one but never had a one spot fix face touch coral