PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on reefing now that life is in the way

reefried bean
06/03/2018, 02:59 PM
I have had a nice 32 gallon biocube set up for a couple of years and for the most part my corals have done well along with a few reef fish and a banded shrimp. But my job has changed as my mothers health has turned south and my time is very limited so now my tank is not getting the attention it needs.I don't really want to shut it down but I keep getting algae blooms as well as aptasia wars and I don't have the time or energy to fight them, and balance chemicals and test water and all the things i used to have time and enjoy doing. I am seriously considering going to a fish only marine tank and adding some algae eating fish, crabs, shrimp, etc. to keep my live rock clean. Any suggestions?

mcgyvr
06/03/2018, 05:36 PM
Sounds like you should shut the tank down IMO...
Its a hobby... you can certainly start it back up again should things take a better turn for you..
Sorry about your mothers health.. best wishes there...

cincyjim
06/04/2018, 04:22 AM
I would agree with McGyvr. The tank might be bringing extra stress at this point so shutting down might the be best option at this point. Sorry to hear about your mother's health. Best of luck with all that is going on.

Ron Reefman
06/04/2018, 05:20 AM
As much as I hate to agree with the above comments, I do. If you don't have the time, this isn't the hobby you need.

The alternative is for you to hire somebody to take care of the aquarium for you. This is supposed to be something you find enjoyable and relaxing, not a duty or a job that you don't enjoy.

In the last few months I've gone from 4 tanks (120, 65, 50 & 25) down to just one (the 50g cube). I've found it to be a real eye opener. I spend way less time than I did before doing maintenance and I enjoy keeping just one tank looking really nice. I probably spend about 1/3rd as much time on one tank as I did on 4.

Good luck and I hope things get better for you and your mother.

Bpb
06/04/2018, 09:39 AM
I ran into the same situation. A couple years back. But to tear down would be more of an undertaking than I conveniently had tome for. Glad I didn’t. If it wouldn’t be too tough just put a handful of peppermint shrimp and a filefish in along with a pincushion urchin. At that point you really just need to keep it topped off and otherwise you can leave it alone. If you didn’t want to go to the trouble of tearing down. It’s a bio cube so that would be easy. Taking down a big tank that is stocked isn’t exactly something that can be done in an evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

homer1475
06/04/2018, 02:14 PM
I would tend to agree with the others above me.

It's a hobby, yes it involves real lives, but fish and corals can be given back to most LFS's. I would keep the tank and equipment for when your ready to return. Selling them really won't net you much money, unfortunately(unless of course you have some high end equipment.

FOWLR could work also, just a once a month WC with an ATO would be a ton less maintenance.

You can always start back up when you have more time. Hope you and your mother the best!

reefried bean
06/08/2018, 04:00 PM
Thank you Bpb for your help and understanding of the questions. I assume if this were a cooking page and I said I loved making lasagna from scratch but had limited time and asked for suggestions, the reef snobs would suggest i starve.

I am changing things up and hoping that a few of my heartier corals survive the new mix until life settles back down. Basically loading up with cleaners such as hermits, emeralds, peppermint shrimp and I will likely add an angel and a tang and get rid of my pajama and my clowns to even the load. We'll see how it goes.

Shut it down they say.... I hate reef snobs!

Uncle99
06/08/2018, 05:23 PM
I am not sure I understood your post correctly and would have agreed with others, but now I see you really want to continue.

Your idea of a fish only and maybe some automation are good ones and may bridge the gap between your time now, and somewhere down the road.

For the last four years before I retired, when I had zer time, job,kids, my DT suffered somewhat, lost many things in the end, but, I did keep it going. Then time changed.

After I retired, and had lots of time, I cleanup things and now my DT is the best ever in my 25 years. I am glad I did not quit. I send best wishes to you and your mother and for sure, things do change, it's inevitable.

Once bitten by this hobby, many cannot just put it away.

Good luck

fijisrfr
06/08/2018, 05:49 PM
Turn it into an easy to take care of FW system, cichlids or??? Then go back to salt when you have time. You gotta have fish in the house!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lsufan
06/08/2018, 05:52 PM
Thank you Bpb for your help and understanding of the questions. I assume if this were a cooking page and I said I loved making lasagna from scratch but had limited time and asked for suggestions, the reef snobs would suggest i starve.

I am changing things up and hoping that a few of my heartier corals survive the new mix until life settles back down. Basically loading up with cleaners such as hermits, emeralds, peppermint shrimp and I will likely add an angel and a tang and get rid of my pajama and my clowns to even the load. We'll see how it goes.

Shut it down they say.... I hate reef snobs!

So your answer to the “reef snobs” of suggesting to just take a break so u don’t have the added stress of a tank going downhill, is to put angels & tangs in a 32 gallon tank? Putting those fish in a 32 gallon tank will be worse then just doing nothing. U may want to rethink that plan or u will be better off taking down the tank like everyone mentioned

Sk8r
06/09/2018, 03:00 PM
Put everything on hardware store timers, for one thing. Re-home all fish that aren't hardy and that have space requirements. Test alkalinity weekly: that's the killer that can take things south. Likewise track salinity, to be sure. Do water chagnes when you can't. But rather than have delicate fish die, just trade them back to the lfs for supplies and if badly in the hole pricewise, ask them for a deal when it does come time to restock.