PDA

View Full Version : My first coral how to attach?

tomreefer
06/10/2018, 03:29 PM
I just got a frag and I am guessing need some glue. I already took off frag plug. I am also guessing this is a Devil's Hand Leather Coral or Capnella Coral not sure. I know its a soft coral. I am guessing also bulk reef supply. It is also a double coral and hope to place on bottom of tank.

Icewing726
06/10/2018, 05:24 PM
Not an expert but Gel superglue rubbed on the dry plug and then kind of rubbed in and set on the target. It feels like a real loose fit but eventually hardens. Someone else may have a better technique but its held my mushrooms, zoas, and green star polyps on just fine. The gel expands into the rock crevices and holds pretty good.

Edit: read you took the plug off, I know you can still glue mushrooms on the bottom (gotta be careful that you have the bottom and not the mouth), not sure if the same applies for your coral.

mcgyvr
06/10/2018, 05:49 PM
Gel superglue for most corals is fine...soft corals can also benefit from a loose fit rubberband

tomreefer
06/10/2018, 06:04 PM
should I take rock out first or will superglue work underwater. Any pictures using rubberband? Do I actually put rubberband on the coral and rock? I heard rubberband eventually will rot that true?

mcgyvr
06/10/2018, 07:33 PM
should I take rock out first or will superglue work underwater. Any pictures using rubberband? Do I actually put rubberband on the coral and rock? I heard rubberband eventually will rot that true?

The corals can be glued underwater..but I like to do it in a bowl of water so when they slime its not all over in the tank...
Yes rubberband around the rock and coral ..as to pics...there are tons of youtube videos on fragging corals and numerous images via google image search

Uncle99
06/11/2018, 12:45 PM
Leathers are the only corals I do not take off the plug or rock because they are very difficult to reattach. I simply dip them, brush them, inspect them and place them in the DT

Icewing726
06/11/2018, 03:03 PM
Just remembered this, you could also get some tule (is that how you spell it, wedding veil stuff) and hold it to the rock you want until it attaches on its own.

ReefJak
06/11/2018, 07:58 PM
I was under the impression that the coral should be left on plug and placed where you want it in tank?

Ron Reefman
06/12/2018, 05:11 AM
I was under the impression that the coral should be left on plug and placed where you want it in tank?

Either way works.

I've attached frags to small rocks so they looked better in the tank than a bunch of frag plugs. But in my most recent tanks I've drilled holes in the live rock before I put them in the tank so frag plugs fit snugly into the holes. That way they are easy to relocate if I want to move them... at least until the over grow the plug and spread onto the rock (some do, some don't).

jd371
06/12/2018, 08:15 AM
If I'm not 100% sure of the location being ideal I'll use just the gel to tack it down, this way if I need to move it doesn't take much to break the bond. If I'm positive the frag will stay in that location I use putty. A few drops of gel under the frag and then press a ball of putty onto that, a couple more drops of gel on the putty and that gets pressed onto the location on the rock. The putty conforms to the rock giving the gel more surface to bond to. Doing this also keeps the Turbo snails from knocking the frags out of place.

AlSimmons
06/12/2018, 09:31 AM
The link below might help.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-10/ac/feature/index.php

allendehl
06/12/2018, 08:48 PM
Use way more glue that what you think. I'm using the Seachem Reef Glue and some keep falling after a few days. Either the Seachem stuff sucks or I do.