PDA

View Full Version : Accilimate corals and dipping?

tomreefer
06/10/2018, 07:24 PM
Ok I may have done this wrong ugh.

I floated the bag in my tank for 20 min and took out 1 gallon of my tank water and used Revive to dip it. Coral seems fine though but should I have done it different?

Revive good coral dip?

First time adding coral.

lapin
06/10/2018, 07:33 PM
Perfect. I would have added a little tank water every 10 minutes to the bag over a period of an hour. Just mix dip as directed. Dip and then look to see what falls off. if you see something attached that looks funny you might brush or pick it off. Rinse in fresh salt water then your done. Now you could get anal and do a lot more such as QT ect.. Every one has their own level of comfort and patience.......

thegrun
06/11/2018, 06:57 PM
Honestly with corals I don't even bother to acclimate, I just start with the dip. I prefer something a little stronger than Revive if you are only going to use one dip. I start with either Bayer Complete Insect Killer, Coral RX or Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure for 10-15 minutes followed by 10 minutes in Revive.

ReefJak
06/11/2018, 07:38 PM
Is multiple dip really needed? How necessary is a QT for corals?

Drewbe147
06/13/2018, 09:43 PM
The multiple dip is to basically double check and add a extra layer of redundancy to ensure no pests enter the system. I personally only use coral rx but many multi dip. I float/dip/rinse/place. So far been successful with this method.

scooter31707
06/14/2018, 11:03 AM
I do quarantine my corals. Upon arrival I temp acclimate them and then do a Revive dip. I also do another Revive dip before going into the DT.

MondoBongo
06/14/2018, 12:15 PM
for me i only temp acclimate if they've had a long time in transit. my LFS that i get most of my stuff from is a 10 minute drive from the house, so it's usually not an issue.

i'll echo what thegrun said, i do a two stage dip. first one with bayer (for most things, there are some corals that don't do well with bayer). blowing the coral off with a little pipette.

if possible i remove the coral from any frag plug or rock that it's on. rinse in new salt water. then do my second dip in something like revive (an iodine based dip) blowing on it with a a pipette again, just trying to gently dislodge anyone clinging on, and make sure i get in all the nooks and crannies.

then i rinse REALLY well, like 3 - 5 gallons of saltwater well. let it soak in some new salt water for a few minutes, and then in to a tank it goes.

AlSimmons
06/14/2018, 01:51 PM
I just drop my corals in. I have paid the price though. (Nudibranchs, Sea spiders, Sundial snails etc) It was definitely a little tedious hunting them down, but they're all gone now. When I buy corals now I know what to look out for. So far so good.

DivingTheWorld
06/14/2018, 03:15 PM
I float (temp only) acclimate for 15 minutes followed by a two stage dip using tank water with all my corals:

15 minute Bayer dip
15 minute rinse
6 minute Melafix dip
15 minute rinse

Inspect and into the tank. I feel Quarantine following dipping is ideal, but I can't run a second tank (gotta keep the wife happy!). So barring quarantine, effective dipping is essential.

swhobbie1
06/14/2018, 06:59 PM
I float to temp acclimate .. 20 minutes, check the salinity of the water to determine if I am going to acclimate or not. If its too different I will acclimate until it gets closer. If salinity is close I will sometimes temp acclimate for a few hours if I've got other things to do. Then do a dip, check for pests and drop on a frag rack where they are observed for aipstasia and other pests. I also try to avoid buying corals from places that I've gotten corals with pests on them or if the salinity is way off from 1.026