PDA

View Full Version : Lower calcium level and raise dKh?

ChameleonNYSea
06/10/2018, 07:54 PM
I just ran a water test today and my dKh is extremely low (5.6) and my calcium level was just a little high (472 ppm).

What is the best way to resolve these issues?

bertoni
06/10/2018, 08:17 PM
The calcium level should be safe as is. I'd ignore it, personally, but lowering it would require water changes with a lower-calcium salt product.

The alkalinity can be fixed by dosing some baking soda. This calculator will help with a dose:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

Just dissolve in a bit of water and add to the tank. Over the long haul, making a standard solution and dosing daily might be needed, but it'll take some testing, possibly daily for a few days, to get a trend line.

ChameleonNYSea
06/10/2018, 08:54 PM
After my dKh levels rise, my corals should grow better, right?

Thank you for your help.

bertoni
06/10/2018, 09:51 PM
Yes, they could grow a lot more rapidly, assuming that the test kit is correct. They might be food-limited, though, or lighting-limited. Growth rates can be hard to predict.

ChameleonNYSea
06/10/2018, 10:49 PM
I just picked up some Hanna checkers because my LPS (torch/acans/hammer) were closing up. After troubleshooting, I saw that my API test kits were expired and giving false reports of my dKh levels. Hopefully the suggested changes are able to reverse the effects on the corals if they are not too far gone. I have 2 LED strips and a 2 bulb T5 fixture, so I do not think light is a problem.

I was curious when my Pulsing Xenia stopped growing, as it usually grows like a weed.

Tripod1404
06/10/2018, 11:29 PM
I have 2 LED strips and a 2 bulb T5 fixture, so I do not think light is a problem.

I would not be that sure. I dont know the size and depth of your tank but unless it is an usually shallow tank, that is probably medium light on top and low light at the bottom.

mcgyvr
06/11/2018, 04:42 AM
Make sure you don't increase your dKH too fast.. Corals HATE changing parameters (instability)... I wouldn't raise it more than .5dKH a day to avoid shocking the corals that are in there..