PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Dry Rock

fltekdiver
06/16/2018, 05:37 AM
I'm cycling dry rock from Reef Savers in a container to start up my system in a few weeks.

I've added some Live Nitrifying Bacteria in a bottle, SG 1.025 , heated the water, and power head.

I bought the ammonia up too 2.00ppm , but then the next day I have no Ammonia reading from the Nitrifying Bacteria.

I added ammonia a few days later to 2.00ppm and it's gone again today

I started last Sunday

Should I be ghost feeding, keep adding ammonia, throw a dead shrimp in their, or just leave it alone for a few weeks until it cycles?

Any water changes while I'm cycling the rock?

MHG
06/16/2018, 06:02 AM
I would do the raw shrimp thing rather than fill your rock full of food. I would also not want to keep dumping ammo in there. But this is just me...

fltekdiver
06/16/2018, 07:53 AM
Ok thanks , I'll run over and grab a shrimp

Do I need to do any water changes ?

fishbox
06/16/2018, 07:54 AM
I'm following along as I'm going to pick up a bunch of dry Rock today and want to get it cycled before adding to the tank.

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk

MHG
06/16/2018, 09:25 AM
When the cycle is done do a big water change... There is a good BRS video on YouTube about curing rock. But there is some useful information in it.

fltekdiver
06/16/2018, 09:29 AM
Thanks, I'm cycling it in a Brute trash can. This way I can just remove the rock after it cycles and becomes Live

Diana A
06/16/2018, 09:57 AM
great thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2622801

fltekdiver
06/16/2018, 09:58 AM
Thank you

thegrun
06/16/2018, 10:03 AM
I would stop adding food and definitely ammonia, the cycle is complete (assuming your nitrites are also zero) . If you still have nitrites simply wait for them to zero out and you are safe to add livestock. All you are doing by continuing to add food or ammonia is drive up your nitrates, the end result of the cycle. The bacteria does not need to be fed, it will live for over a year without a food source.

fltekdiver
06/16/2018, 10:05 AM
I dont have a cycle because its masked by the Nitrifying Bacteria. In a bottle

I also dont want to leach Po4, hence the reason of cycling it for a month in the trash can

fishbox
06/16/2018, 10:13 AM
I would stop adding food and definitely ammonia, the cycle is complete (assuming your nitrites are also zero) . If you still have nitrites simply wait for them to zero out and you are safe to add livestock. All you are doing by continuing to add food or ammonia is drive up your nitrates, the end result of the cycle. The bacteria does not need to be fed, it will live for over a year without a food source.But let's say you add a few pieces of actual live rock to seed it with biodiversity other than bacteria (like pods, worms, mini stars, etc....), would you then have to feed? If so, how would you go about doing so?

thegrun
06/16/2018, 10:17 AM
But let's say you add a few pieces of actual live rock to seed it with biodiversity other than bacteria (like pods, worms, mini stars, etc....), would you then have to feed? If so, how would you go about doing so?

Then a small pinch of dry flake once every few days would be appropriate, or simply add your fist fish and begin feeding it.

on the spot
06/16/2018, 10:43 AM
I'm cycling dry rock from Reef Savers in a container to start up my system in a few weeks...

You are doing a fine job - shrimp, pinches of flake food, or straight ammonia, all do the same thing - feeding the bacteria. You should continue doing so. No reason to go all the way to 2, you could just as simply cut that dose to ¼, pretend it's a pinch of "food", and be content.

I wouldn't go to the "biodiversity" until you are in the actual tank.

fltekdiver
06/16/2018, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the advise

I.threw. a pc of shrimp in the tub, and just wait the few weeks out.

When it comes to putting into the DT, I plan on using 25lbs of agricultured live rock , fill the tank, get it all up and running, let it settle a few days, then add the fish

fishbox
06/16/2018, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't go to the "biodiversity" until you are in the actual tank.
Yeah it sounds like you need a light source for the biodiversity. I'm gonna do my rock in a brute before it goes in the tank and I don't wanna add a light source over that