PDA

View Full Version : Temp v Salt

pREEFERED
06/27/2018, 11:26 PM
Why does the salinity in my tank increase when the temperature of the water increases?

I understand that as the temperature rises, water evaporates faster, but since I have an ATO that replenishes the evaporated water, shouldn’t the salinity stay level rather than reflecting the rise in temperature?

I have a reefer 170 so perhaps its due to the smaller water volume and the salinity probe is really sensitive to the fluctuation, but I wanted to see if there is something else going on which I am not thinking of...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180628/62fdf325e7e55c0f31bb21f7595d798e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcgyvr
06/28/2018, 04:43 AM
Specific gravity is changing because the density of the water is changing in relation to the temperature..

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-07/rhf/index.php

pREEFERED
06/28/2018, 08:08 AM
much appreciated!

bertoni
06/28/2018, 08:57 PM
That range is very high for a tank with a reasonable accurate ATO system. How often is the system running? Does the Apex have ATC (automatic temperature compensation)? If so, is it turned on?

I agree that a hydrometer will show a range of temperatures, but a probe with ATC should be more stable, I would hope. My meter was.

mcgyvr
06/29/2018, 08:39 AM
Does the Apex have ATC (automatic temperature compensation)? If so, is it turned on?

Sure doesn't seem like it as its tracking very closely to temperature..

pREEFERED
06/29/2018, 08:54 AM
Sure doesn't seem like it as its tracking very closely to temperature..

agree that a hydrometer will show a range of temperatures, but a probe with ATC should be more stable, I would hope. My meter was.[/QUOTE]

ATO is a Tunze Osmolator 3155 so it only turns on once the water line drops below the sensor, no ATC for the Apex (though that would be pretty sweet), but I also have an AquaEuro chiller that is set to kick on when the temp rises above 81, indicated by the spikes... the chiller is also set to run for 1 min every hour to cycle the SW that sits in the chiller when it turns off to prevent the water from getting stale.

bertoni
06/29/2018, 02:23 PM
Given the temperature range and the unknown precision of the ATO, that range might be within reason, although I might try double-checking with another SG device, if that's easy to do.