PDA

View Full Version : Nudibranch ID

jlmawp
06/30/2018, 01:15 PM
A couple weeks back, I picked up a tiny piece of live rock because I liked the coralline the store had. Now, today, I suddenly see 5 of these guys on my glass at the same time, having never seen them before. I believe this is a pic of two of them, potentially mating? I've tried to ID on my own, but can't seem to find what kind they are

https://i.imgur.com/Lt3Ucw7.jpg

Hopefully they aren't threatening to the corals, because I think they're pretty cool. Maybe it's a good sign that they're on the glass with the algae and not anywhere that I can see on the corals?

Edit: ok scratch that, they are everywhere. At least 12 spotted so far, with several little white circles of eggs on the glass too. It’s crazy how I’ve never once seen them before. Now suddenly an invasion! I stare at my tank everyday!

kfisc
06/30/2018, 02:14 PM
No idea regarding ID. If they continue thriving, it's because they like munching something in your tank, in my experience something expensive. Some reef keepers use flatworm exit, others use physical removal, or the purchase of a wrasse to eat them.

But bear in mind that some nudibranchs are quite harmless. I just haven't met any yet.

jlmawp
06/30/2018, 02:27 PM
No idea regarding ID. If they continue thriving, it's because they like munching something in your tank, in my experience something expensive. Some reef keepers use flatworm exit, others use physical removal, or the purchase of a wrasse to eat them.

But bear in mind that some nudibranchs are quite harmless. I just haven't met any yet.

It's only a 9-gallon, so physical removal won't be a problem if that's what it comes to. I've been battling a recent outbreak of bubble algae in the same way as well, and these pests underestimate my resolve.

mcgyvr
06/30/2018, 04:54 PM
Its some type of aeolid nudibranch.. Could be a harmless berghia

jlmawp
07/02/2018, 09:08 AM
Little update. I found 2 of these guys with their heads buried inside a couple zoa heads.

Yeah, nope. Not gonna allow that to continue. I've plucked 9 of them out so far. When you try to grab them with tweezers, their little spines pop off, they turn into a ball and float away. Clever little buggers.

Sugar Magnolia
07/02/2018, 11:14 AM
You'll want to inspect the zoa stalks for egg spirals. You can scrape them off with the side of a toothpick. Be sure to wear gloves and eye protection when doing so.

tjm9331
07/02/2018, 11:45 AM
Its some type of aeolid nudibranch.. Could be a harmless berghia

I was going to say berghia but you don't usually see them hanging out on the glass, especially with lights on and now that the OP mentioned he found one buried in his zoa, its definitely not a berghia.

I'm not sure on the ID but certainly sounds like a pest so get rid of them as you see them, you should be able to use a turkey baster and suction them out.

jlmawp
07/02/2018, 03:14 PM
You'll want to inspect the zoa stalks for egg spirals. You can scrape them off with the side of a toothpick. Be sure to wear gloves and eye protection when doing so.

I did see some eggs on a couple of them and scraped them away. I'm going to have to do a more thorough check though, for sure.