PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner Fish?

Alcott_Reef
07/01/2018, 02:37 PM
I have a 29 gallon saltwater tank with many corals and 4 fish and the sand in my tank is so covered in algae, that there is Coraline algae growing on the sand. I have tried Diamond gobys but we have already gone through 4 and all of them have died or jumped into the back section filter section of our biocube. We have gotten all kinds of snails but none of them have been able to clean the sand. With 2 clown fish, 1 rusty angel, and 1 Yellowtailed blue angelfish (Each an inch long), do you have any recommendations for fish that can clean up the sand?

fijisrfr
07/01/2018, 02:39 PM
I’d be willing to bet that it’s cyano, not corraline. A pic would help a lot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alcott_Reef
07/01/2018, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=Alcott_Reef;25463606} With 2 clown fish, 1 rusty angel, and 1 Yellowtailed blue angelfish

I meant Yellowtailed Blue Damselfish, sorry for the typo.

RioReefr
07/01/2018, 03:11 PM
so covered in algae, that there is Coraline algae growing on the sand.

Highly unlikely if you have a lot of algae that coralline is growing in the sand. Coralline spores basically won't grow in the presence of a lot of green algae. As the other member said, most likely its cyano. If you can suck it up with turkey baster/tester pipette then it is not coralline. With just a 29G tank, you can siphon your sand rather easily/quickly.

Find some other reefer who has a bunch of spaghetti worms growing. IMO, those are really good for keeping the top layer (at least) clean of the crap that settles to the bottom.

Anything (fish, star) that churns the sand is eating the microfauna NOT the detritus, algae, etc. Once they have eaten all that microfauna, which is easy in a 29G tank, they will perish.

Alcott_Reef
07/01/2018, 03:11 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=11691&pictureid=79736

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=11691&pictureid=79737

thegrun
07/02/2018, 05:44 PM
Yep, that is cyanobacteria, not coraline.

fijisrfr
07/02/2018, 05:45 PM
Winner,winner, chicken dinner!
Yup, as suspected, that’s cyano

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk