PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to Digital Aquatics?

NEOgeorge
07/06/2018, 12:57 PM
I just received my ReefKeeper Lite - tried to find the myReef software and the company web site has been removed. Looks like all online resellers are listing the products as discontinued.

n2585722
07/06/2018, 02:45 PM
They got out of the aquarium controller business.

NEOgeorge
07/06/2018, 04:30 PM
Looks like they abandoned support for the product as well.

tdhnry
07/07/2018, 08:31 AM
They got "Apexed".

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

NEOgeorge
07/07/2018, 08:35 AM
I'm considering returning the ReefKeeper Lite. It's a good price, but since Digital Aquatics has removed links to the user guide and myReef software, and there is no technical or warranty support, I'm thinking it makes more sense to dive a bit deeper and get the Apex Jr.

tdhnry
07/07/2018, 08:42 AM
That makes a lot of sense

nikon187
07/07/2018, 01:01 PM
um the archon...

NEOgeorge
07/07/2018, 03:10 PM
don't understand your archon reference???

top shelf
07/07/2018, 04:20 PM
don't understand your archon reference???

It's another controller made by digital aquatics, I would imagine if they abandoned everything for the reefkeeper that controller would be no different.

NEOgeorge
07/07/2018, 05:37 PM
I searched on archon, and it appears all support is gone. A reference mentioned that a company name Dynon or something had purchased DA a year or so back. The way that the company discontinued the product and immediately removed all supporting documentation is a raise of the middle finger to the reefing community. Resellers of the product should be informing customers that they are buying an unsupported, non-warranted product, and the price should be reduced by half to account for the associated risk.

windlasher
07/07/2018, 08:08 PM
This makes me glad I went whole hog and bought the apex 8 months ago when they were on my list of consideration. The very least companies could do when they abandon ship is release the code for the software for free in the public domain so others who might need it and whom supported them can maybe get some use out of it. Just disappearing is sooooo pathetic.

oceanscurve
07/07/2018, 08:15 PM
Not sure if this helps but here's the archived webpage:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160627122151/http://www.digitalaquatics.com:80/saltwater/systems/rkl-reefkeeper-lite/

ReefCowboy
07/07/2018, 09:49 PM
That should be a warning sign to reefers about new controller companies. They come out promising and can sound interesting, but it is a tough business to be in and when they bail, the customer ends up with a totally useless piece if equipment.

I would be really upset right now if I had gotten a RK

windlasher
07/08/2018, 09:02 AM
That should be a warning sign to reefers about new controller companies. They come out promising and can sound interesting, but it is a tough business to be in and when they bail, the customer ends up with a totally useless piece if equipment.

I would be really upset right now if I had gotten a RK

They weren't New. Around for many years. Just couldn't hang. Failure to innovate.

nikon187
07/08/2018, 11:26 AM
didnt relise they stopped support on the archon as well. ( newest controller )
APEX for the win i suppose. Maybe mindstream will be out this decade

2000se
07/08/2018, 12:16 PM
Not too sure if I would abandon so quickly if you already have all the equipment. If you have all the necessary pieces it should work as expected whether the company is in business or not. If you're looking to get into the controller scene and are looking to purchase, then yes, probably not go with DA.

NEOgeorge
07/08/2018, 12:59 PM
All I have is the Basic Lite, just purchased. Had no idea that DA went out of business and took down their web site and all support. The 5% discount that I got from BRS is no where near enough of a "sale" to cover an as-is, non-supported product with no warranty.

2000se
07/08/2018, 02:54 PM
^ agree.
I meant 'if' you had a bunch of there equipment already...

evolusion
07/08/2018, 03:15 PM
Is there somewhere to get a mirror of the software?

NEOgeorge
07/08/2018, 03:19 PM
oceans curve provided an archive link in this thread, although I haven't tested the s/w download yet...

evolusion
07/08/2018, 03:33 PM
yeah i checked and nope only a few pdf's pull up like a mounting guide... user guides and etc all error out. Would have been nice if they just open sourced their stuff for the people that did invest in their system,

rvareef
07/08/2018, 03:41 PM
what a bummer!

n2585722
07/08/2018, 05:25 PM
I searched on archon, and it appears all support is gone. A reference mentioned that a company name Dynon or something had purchased DA a year or so back. The way that the company discontinued the product and immediately removed all supporting documentation is a raise of the middle finger to the reefing community. Resellers of the product should be informing customers that they are buying an unsupported, non-warranted product, and the price should be reduced by half to account for the associated risk.
Dynon has always been the parent company for Digital Aquatics. They make avionics electronics.

ReefCowboy
07/08/2018, 07:51 PM
They weren't New. Around for many years. Just couldn't hang. Failure to innovate.

I was referring to other new controllers that just hit the market.

kurt_n
07/08/2018, 08:45 PM
Not too sure if I would abandon so quickly if you already have all the equipment. If you have all the necessary pieces it should work as expected whether the company is in business or not...

It should, but it seemed to be hit and miss. For some folks, there seemed to be a lot of personalized support from DA to get things working right. It's a shame they just washed their hands of it.

alton
07/09/2018, 06:19 AM
RKL was a great cheap controller for lights and my heater. I never upgraded the software, what they came out with worked great for $100. My oldest RKL is nine years old and still works flawlessly. I am going to miss them if mine dies and I have to go spend the big bucks on Apex, great system just not keen on spending that much.

2000se
07/09/2018, 06:23 AM
RKL was a great cheap controller for lights and my heater. I never upgraded the software, what they came out with worked great for $100. My oldest RKL is nine years old and still works flawlessly. I am going to miss them if mine dies and I have to go spend the big bucks on Apex, great system just not keen on spending that much.

Same...:(

PrangeWay
07/16/2018, 09:56 AM

Setting up a 25gallon nano-cube using an original vintage-2003 ReefKeeper I bought back when Apex was gouging Reefers like mad, I could use an extra Apex Lt I have sitting around, but more of a hassle to setup/run then old skool.

PW

KCSUMPS
09/22/2018, 10:25 PM
Other thank Apex have you used other controllers you liked?

pecan2phat
09/23/2018, 08:11 AM
Setting up a 25gallon nano-cube using an original vintage-2003 ReefKeeper I bought back when Apex was gouging Reefers like mad, I could use an extra Apex Lt I have sitting around, but more of a hassle to setup/run then old skool.

PW

I have a bunch of controllers but guess what's still on my reef tank
https://i.imgur.com/hjnJXFM.jpg

tdhnry
09/23/2018, 08:18 AM
I have a bunch of controllers but guess what's still on my reef tank
https://i.imgur.com/hjnJXFM.jpgWow! I remember those! I used to have one of them. It still works?

pecan2phat
09/23/2018, 08:59 AM
Yes it still does!
Got it from Aquarium Specialty when they first came out maybe 14 years ago.
Very simple controller with no PH, float switch nor Ca reactor capabilities etc but it still keeps rockin!

tdhnry
09/23/2018, 09:14 AM
Yes it still does!
Got it from Aquarium Specialty when they first came out maybe 14 years ago.
Very simple controller with no PH, float switch nor Ca reactor capabilities etc but it still keeps rockin!If I remember right, doesn't it come with power strip that the head unit can control the individual outlets?

pecan2phat
09/23/2018, 10:28 AM
Comes with an 8 outlet power strip and the head unit can control each outlet individually, temp probe plugs into the power strip.
Has presets for light, pump, heater, fan/chiller, on/off, powerheads.
You cannot write code or tell it what to do other then the presets available.

n2585722
09/24/2018, 04:54 PM
This is what they have been up to http://vashonaircraft.com .