PDA

View Full Version : Maxspect gyre230 placement

Olathereefer
07/06/2018, 05:26 PM
I was hoping I could get some advice from gyre users in regards to the best placement in my tank. I have a 150g cube (36"x36"x34"h) and for several months I have been running my gyre vertically so it has circular flow around the tank. I keep it on 20% because it creates a sand storm if I go higher. My return pump (@1000gph) flows along the top of the tank from the back corner to the front corner. Over the last couple months I have been fighting algae and I just don't feel like I have enough flow. I am looking at adding a controllable powerhead to assist with flow. My aquascaping is basically a "C" shape in the middle of the tank. Should a keep the gyre vertically along the back and just add a powerhead to add flow along the top of the tank from back to front OR is the gyre best suited running horizontal along the back of the tank flowing across the top towards the front and then placing the power head lower to create a random flow?
I though by purchasing this gyre it would reduce headaches but at this point it just seems to create them to the point I am considering removing the gyre completely and just going back to standard powerheads.

Nimitz87
07/07/2018, 10:48 AM
pictures of your tank and power head placement would probably help a bit.

how high is the gyre off the sand bed? 20% is pretty limiting...you have lot of flow on tap you arent using.

hkgar
07/07/2018, 01:38 PM
How big is the tank? I have 2 in my 180 placed on opposite sides, horizontally. They are set at 60% Personally I would mount them horizontal, but it is completely up to you.

Nimitz87
07/07/2018, 02:38 PM
I have a 150g cube (36"x36"x34"h)

How big is the tank? I have 2 in my 180 placed on opposite sides, horizontally. They are set at 60% Personally I would mount them horizontally, but it is completely up to you.

did you even read the post? he has a cube tank, which is recommended to mount vertically, he also can't run more than 20% currently without a sand storm.

hkgar
07/07/2018, 02:52 PM
My bad for skim reading.

Olathereefer
07/07/2018, 04:56 PM
Not the best photo but the gyre is on the left side of the photo next to the corner overflow. The return pump pipes are at the very top of the tank a couple inches in front of the corner overflow facing towards the opposite corner. At this time I have a small power head on the opposite side of the overflow box flowing the opposite direction of the gyre but it’s not much flow which is why I am looking at adding a larger 1500gph controlable power head. I know I have a lot of unused flow in that gyre but with a 3ft tank it’s hard to determine the best placement to take advantage of the unused flow that I have to go higher than 20% without creating a sandstorm.

Olathereefer
07/07/2018, 05:00 PM
Maybe the gyre isn’t the best option for a 3’x3’ tank??