PDA

View Full Version : Attractive Stomatopod

Gonodactylus
07/09/2018, 09:57 AM
To my mind Neogonodactylus curacaoensis is one of the most attractive stomatopods. The overall body color can be green or brown but species specific color markings do not very. The raptorial dactyls are deep blue and the rostrum and base of the eyes are bright orange.

This species is found throughout the Caribbean usually occurring below 3 m. Maximum total length is about 7 cm. N. curacaoensis prefers living in cavities in live coral. Individuals will often maintain two or more cavities within a meter or two of one another. Individuals of this species are not particularly shy and often move about in the open.

N. curacaoensis are occasionally available from collectors in the Florida Keys.

Roy

Bobbitworm13
07/09/2018, 05:14 PM
How difficult are they to care for? Any harder than wennerae or oerstedii?

Gonodactylus
07/09/2018, 05:21 PM
They are not as tolerant of poor quality water, but otherwise no problem.

Bobbitworm13
07/11/2018, 08:38 PM
Ok, thanks for the advice

mndfreeze
07/20/2018, 12:36 AM
Gorgeous creatures! I was looking at these guys way back in 2010 when hunting for my first mantis.

Since it lives in coral cavities is it safe to assume this would be a good species for someone who keeps a mixed reef and wanted a mantis? That was a driving force behind my decision to keep a Ternatensis back in the day even though I really would have rather kept a peacock. I didn't want to give up my coral.

Jlentz
07/20/2018, 03:41 AM
Beautiful. I’d love one for my reef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gonodactylus
07/20/2018, 08:38 AM
Given their small size, I think they would work well in a 5 - 20 gal mixed tank.

Roy

Calappidae
07/21/2018, 01:16 PM
Are there any colormorphs (sexual or environmental) or do they all stay roughly the same?

I also found these as one of my favorites color wise, I remember reading somewhere (i think your list) that they're very shy though which steered me away.

Definitely one I'd like to pick up some day.

Gonodactylus
07/23/2018, 09:42 AM
Brown or green seem to be the most common color morphs.

Like many species of stomatopods, individuals vary with respect to shyness. Initially, I considered this species shy but more recently I have had some larger N. curacaoensis that were quite bold.

Roy