PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Question

ftampa
07/11/2018, 02:01 PM
Hi guys,

I use to have a 200 gallons tank in Brazil but here my tank is a 120 gallon not heavily stock yet but will soon . Growing Sps mostly.

Well, I kept my previously skimmer which is a Vertex Alpha 200 but I'm having two problems with it:

1 - Almost no space on Trigger Triton44 sump which drives me crazy.
2 - It's always overflowing.

I know this Skimmer is too much for my tank and too big for this sump and I'm looking for a new one, more compact. People told me about Nyos but I never heard about it before. What do you guys recommend?

ReefWreak
07/11/2018, 03:19 PM
I have a 90+20 gallon system (Reefer 450) with the Nyos 120, and it has been a fantastic skimmer and very quiet and consistent. I would highly recommend it if you're looking for a high end skimmer. My tank is still only 3-4 months old, but is already heavily populated with fishes, and I'm starting my SPS growing now with a calcium reactor. I plan on keeping this skimmer going forward, and feel like it definitely keeps up with my 15+ fishes that are fed a few times a day.

I actually had a really hard time getting the nyos to skim wet in the beginning, and it has never overflowed for me yet. The reason it was so dry in the beginning was that I only had 7 fishes with no tangs. Now with more fish and more food and more tangs pooping constantly, it skims much wetter.

It's of course best to get the Alpha you already have working, but I have no hesitation recommending the Nyos for a 120g tank.

ftampa
07/11/2018, 03:24 PM
I think my Alpha 200 is too much for 120 gallons thats why I'm having troubles with it =(

Also he is too big for the sump :/

scooter31707
07/13/2018, 09:32 AM
Check out the Simplicity skimmers.

moondoggy4
07/13/2018, 04:36 PM
So being in Brazil it would be difficult to recommend a skimmer do to the fact we do know what you have available to you.
Since you can get a Nyos I would recommend the 160 model.

DesertReefT4r
07/13/2018, 06:52 PM
Reef Octopus Classic 150SSS or 150INT if you want a great skimmer at a lower price point. If you want a nicer skimmer the Reef Octopus Elite 150SSS or Nyos 120 are very nice.

slief
07/13/2018, 06:57 PM
I think my Alpha 200 is too much for 120 gallons thats why I'm having troubles with it =(

Also he is too big for the sump :/

Having run Alpha’s myself and having helped countless Alpha users, I can tell you from experience that your Alpha 200 is WAY WAY too large for your setup and will never perform consistently on that display. You couldn’t put enough fish in it to keep it happy. Your having to run it too wet to get it to produce skimmate which is why it overflows if you look at it the wrong way. I’d suggest downsizing to a smaller skimmer that is more appropriate for your display size and load.

ftampa
07/14/2018, 01:08 AM
Having run Alpha’s myself and having helped countless Alpha users, I can tell you from experience that your Alpha 200 is WAY WAY too large for your setup and will never perform consistently on that display. You couldn’t put enough fish in it to keep it happy. Your having to run it too wet to get it to produce skimmate which is why it overflows if you look at it the wrong way. I’d suggest downsizing to a smaller skimmer that is more appropriate for your display size and load.

Could you please suggest a model?

slief
07/14/2018, 08:14 AM
Could you please suggest a model?

It really depends on your budget and your fish stocking plans.

ftampa
07/14/2018, 02:13 PM
It really depends on your budget and your fish stocking plans.

I would say crowded... I love Tangs .... I've already spent more than 1k with the Alpha 200, so I really want to spend less than 500$ on this one.

This is driving me crazy :rollface:

slief
07/14/2018, 02:53 PM
I would say crowded... I love Tangs .... I've already spent more than 1k with the Alpha 200, so I really want to spend less than 500$ on this one.

This is driving me crazy :rollface:

For that price, I’d look at a Life Reef Skimmer or an AquaMaxx.

ftampa
07/14/2018, 03:08 PM
For that price, I’d look at a Life Reef Skimmer or an AquaMaxx.

Thanks a lot for your helping.

Do you think a Aquamaxx CO2 is too much for this system as well? Or maybe you can recommend a perfect fit for it :)

slief
07/14/2018, 03:21 PM
Thanks a lot for your helping.

Do you think a Aquamaxx CO2 is too much for this system as well? Or maybe you can recommend a perfect fit for it :)

If you really have a heavy load, then yes. It’s rated for 130 gallons with a heavy load and higher with a light load. A heavy load is upwards of 1/2” of fish per display gallon. Even if you have less than that, the Co2 will work much better than the Alpha 200. You just might have to run it a little more on the wet side to keep it consistent.

DesertReefT4r
07/14/2018, 07:08 PM
Sell the 200. It will fund a very nice new skimmer and you should have some money left over to buy some tangs!

heritage
07/14/2018, 08:54 PM
Aquamaxx Q2, set it and forget it skimmer and you'll have plenty of room in your sump.

ftampa
07/14/2018, 10:49 PM
Aquamaxx Q2, set it and forget it skimmer and you'll have plenty of room in your sump.

Whats the diference between the CO-2 and the Q2? Just space?

heritage
07/15/2018, 05:39 AM
Whats the diference between the CO-2 and the Q2? Just space?

Yes, I'm running the Q3 and using the emerald 34 and I have plenty of space.

moondoggy4
07/15/2018, 07:53 PM
The CO-2 has an external pump, I am running one on my 120 gallon tank.