PDA

View Full Version : LED Question - Will This Work?

DaveFe
07/27/2018, 06:27 PM
Hey everyone I'm on the very last aspect of my tank, the lighting, and I'm unsure what I want to do.

I have a canopy so I'm not looking for a hanging fixture, here's what I was considering. I really like what I've read about the Kessil AP700 LED Lighting Panel, I thought I would basically cut a slot in my canopy for it to sit in which would place it 8-9 inches above the water surface.

I have a 75 gallon standard 48x18, the specs on the light say that it does between 36x24 and 48x24 depending on height of the fixture above the water surface.

I guess worst case I could just lose the canopy but I honestly like the look of it so I'm trying to find something that will work.

Thoughts?

DaveFe
07/27/2018, 07:18 PM
Also forgot to add this will be an LPS tank hence why I think I could make this work.

mcgyvr
07/27/2018, 10:47 PM
Sure.. sounds fine..

Vinny Kreyling
07/28/2018, 09:03 AM
Just make sure you secure it in some way--
Like us all, someday you will do something & it will fall out of place.

DaveFe
07/28/2018, 10:24 AM

Haha yeah that was my first concern. Plan is to cut out the middle section of two pieces going across the canopy leaving the canopy center brace for it to sit on, and then take those cut out pieces cut them and glue them back on to the bottom of what's remaining on the canopy creating a little lip for the light to sit on. When the canopy is closed it will be entrapped, slightly able to move but not able to fall.

Misled
07/28/2018, 01:42 PM
Sure.. sounds fine..

Yep

And yep.

Alfrareef
07/29/2018, 06:36 AM

Very Important Advice!!

saveafish
07/30/2018, 06:47 PM

It happens when you think it will be ok. The oh I can squeeze a bit ohhh *&^%#. Crud why did I do that. :headwally:

newbie2014
07/30/2018, 08:01 PM
Haha yeah that was my first concern. Plan is to cut out the middle section of two pieces going across the canopy leaving the canopy center brace for it to sit on, and then take those cut out pieces cut them and glue them back on to the bottom of what's remaining on the canopy creating a little lip for the light to sit on. When the canopy is closed it will be entrapped, slightly able to move but not able to fall.

I don't know what kind of canopy you have, but Kessil actually has an inside-canopy brackets/legs for the AP700 as an accessories. In the BRSTV spotlight videos on the AP700, they also mentioned how they are using that bracket on one of them tanks.

Check it out.