PDA

View Full Version : Chaeto ball size?

kartz09
07/29/2018, 11:49 PM
What size do you guys usually keep your chaeto ball?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill_Moorman
07/30/2018, 12:26 AM
I prune mine down from volleyball sized to baseball sized. This usually takes about a month to grow out before I prune it back.

I’m running a 10g sump on a 40b, so any more than that and I run out of room in my fuge chamber.

thegrun
07/30/2018, 07:16 PM
I trim mine once it has filled the refugium and starts to get dense.

kartz09
08/01/2018, 10:15 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

AlSimmons
08/01/2018, 08:19 PM
If algae ain't growing I would be stoked... ;)

Do you really NEED that Chaeto/Refugium? Something to think about...

mattgumaer
08/02/2018, 07:40 AM
I let mine go until it starts to look unhealthy (paler green) either because light isn't hitting the bottom portion and/or its growing out of the water. My ball does not rotate. It basically fills of the refugium section of my sump. My guess is that it is somewhere between volleyball and basketball sized. Maybe about once a month, I take some handfuls, swish them around in the display tank with the hope I'm releasing bunches of little critters into the display tank, and then throw it out.

Matt

Redeyes31
08/02/2018, 08:21 PM
My Chaeto has only been going for 4 weeks. It was baseball sized when it started. It's probably tripled in size so far. I noticed part of mine keeps dying. Every couple of days there is an amount of withering, browning chaeto large enough to go after. It's hard to get it out: its mixed with the healthy pieces and the brown stuff almost melts in btwn your fingers.

Roger30
08/02/2018, 09:27 PM
What kinda light do you have on it?

My Chaeto has only been going for 4 weeks. It was baseball sized when it started. It's probably tripled in size so far. I noticed part of mine keeps dying. Every couple of days there is an amount of withering, browning chaeto large enough to go after. It's hard to get it out: its mixed with the healthy pieces and the brown stuff almost melts in btwn your fingers.

Redeyes31
08/02/2018, 09:40 PM
What kinda light do you have on it?

The exact light is a Tunze 6500K waterproof LED Fixture #8821. I have it submerged just under the surface of the water. And I have marine blocks at the bottom of the refug. The chaeto sometimes sinks, and sometimes floats right under the light.

Roger30
08/02/2018, 10:00 PM
Does it give off heat? I use the kessil h380 and my chaeto is 3"+ thick. Try lifting it off the water some.

The exact light is a Tunze 6500K waterproof LED Fixture #8821. I have it submerged just under the surface of the water. And I have marine blocks at the bottom of the refug. The chaeto sometimes sinks, and sometimes floats right under the light.

Redeyes31
08/02/2018, 10:06 PM
Does it give off heat? I use the kessil h380 and my chaeto is 3"+ thick. Try lifting it off the water some.

Good Idea. It's is now out of the water and we'll see if that makes a difference. Thnx