PDA

View Full Version : Electronic test tools?

idan555
08/04/2018, 09:45 PM
I'm kind a tired of the API and red sea test kits. drop here, shake well bla bla...
are there on type of electronic tool to test the water just by deep the tip into the water? I know there is one for pH but not sure about the other....

wrott
08/05/2018, 08:01 PM
https://premiumaquatics.com/products/nitrate-monitor.html

mcgyvr
08/06/2018, 04:48 AM
There are a small few...
What parameters are you monitoring?

There aren't "easy button" tests for alk/cal/mag,etc...
There are for salinity, nitrate, ph

Aquavaj
08/06/2018, 10:16 AM
I don't own any but the Hanna Checkers for alk, ca, and phosphate are affordable. The ones for ca and phosphate seem to be a little iffy from the reviews though. pH and TDS are also affordable.

If you're rolling in cash and find a refractometer still too much of a hassle there are salinity monitors. I have an Apex but it'll be over $200 of add-ons just to get this working. I'll stick with the refractometer.

idan555
08/06/2018, 10:27 AM
I don't own any but the Hanna Checkers for alk, ca, and phosphate are affordable. The ones for ca and phosphate seem to be a little iffy from the reviews though. pH and TDS are also affordable.

If you're rolling in cash and find a refractometer still too much of a hassle there are salinity monitors. I have an Apex but it'll be over $200 of add-ons just to get this working. I'll stick with the refractometer.

I read a lot about hanna, many people said the result are not accurate each test. Any one have this problem before I'll get one?
I'm looking for the phosphate and nitrate...

RioReefr
08/07/2018, 11:03 AM
Personally, I have the HI dKH and Ca testers. I like the dKH one, super easy to use and fairly accurate. Sadly, I can't say the same about the Ca. It only uses 0.1 mL water sample and there lies the problem. Given the super tiny sample size, I can get as much as +/- 30 variation using the same exact water and doing consecutive tests back-to-back.

I think what you are looking for is a lab-grade spectrophotometer. If you are rich, you can basically measure everything:

https://hannainst.com/iris-spectrophotometer.html

hkgar
08/07/2018, 01:20 PM
I use the Hanna checkers for dKH and PO4 (the Phosphorus one) and am pleased with the results. When I get results I am not expecting it is usually operator error.

I use Red Sea Prp for Nitrates and Salifert for Mag and Ca

JP Reef
08/07/2018, 01:23 PM
I am tempted to try this one out.

https://hannainst.com/aquaculture-photometer-hi83303.html

der_wille_zur_macht
08/08/2018, 08:50 AM
Let me add a thought. Test kits aren't inherently accurate or inaccurate. Testers - and the procedures they do or do not follow - including calibration, cleaning, storage, etc - are where variability and bad readings come from.

Yes, there are brands or tools that are inherently easier to use, but we need to get away from the notion that if you buy a certain instrument or kit you'll always have perfect results no matter what.