PDA

View Full Version : Tang, strange behavior

hkgar
08/17/2018, 04:14 PM
We need a forum called something like "fish psychoanalysis"
Why is my Purple Tang swimming into my Montipora Cap and doing this for about an minute than swimming away only to return a few minutes later an doing it again?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3tpmjtGxC1yytgjP8

Gorgok
08/17/2018, 04:36 PM
Do tangs do the same egg fanning thing clowns do?

Tripod1404
08/17/2018, 05:30 PM
We need a forum called something like "fish psychoanalysis"
Why is my Purple Tang swimming into my Montipora Cap and doing this for about an minute than swimming away only to return a few minutes later an doing it again?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3tpmjtGxC1yytgjP8

Is it rubbing any part of its body? Maybe it has an itch.

Do tangs do the same egg fanning thing clowns do?

No, tangs are egg scatters, they dont attach their eggs to a substrate.

hkgar
08/17/2018, 05:32 PM
Is it rubbing any part of its body? Maybe it has an itch.

No, does not appear to be rubbing.

Tripod1404
08/17/2018, 05:37 PM
No, does not appear to be rubbing.

Hmm that is very strange. Maybe it is mistaking the bright color of the monti for a type of cleaner.

I had an anthias that would stand next to a red glass thermometer over and over again. Is stopped doing it after I got red cleaner shrimp, now it does the same behavior towards the shrimp. I assume the bright red color of the thermometer caused the anthias to mistake it for a cleaner shrimp.

Do you have any cleaner shrimp or cleaner fish like neon gobies?

Uncle99
08/17/2018, 06:25 PM
Maybe he's trying to tell somebody to stay clear, this is mine?

tonyjd34
08/18/2018, 09:20 AM
looks stressed to me.

hkgar
08/18/2018, 09:44 AM
No cleaners in the tank

Stress is doubtful. I have had him for 3+ years and this behavior has just started. No new additions to the tank in over 6 months.

The bully in the tank is my Atlantic Blue but he pretty much only goes after my Two Barred rabbitfish and that is only at feeding time. He doesn't like to share.

RioReefr
08/18/2018, 03:47 PM
Maybe it is mistaking the bright color of the monti for a type of cleaner.

I think he is right. I had a tang that would hover over a cleaner shrimp (just like that for a minute). It could be some pest or itch (not ich) he is trying to rid. My tang liked peppermint shrimps too and let them crawl all over him until he got annoyed and dashed off.

ROlympia
08/18/2018, 09:27 PM
I have two thoughts: one, there's good flow there. My brown tang does similar in the current of a powerhead.

Second: he's about to poop and he can catch the poop better if he does it there. Mine does that as well.

hkgar
08/19/2018, 06:12 AM
I have two thoughts: one, there's good flow there. My brown tang does similar in the current of a powerhead.

Second: he's about to poop and he can catch the poop better if he does it there. Mine does that as well.

Why would it want to "catch the poop"? True when my large fish, particularly the herbivores, poop a type of feeding frenzy starts, but they generally spit it out.

ROlympia
08/19/2018, 08:24 PM
Why would it want to "catch the poop"? True when my large fish, particularly the herbivores, poop a type of feeding frenzy starts, but they generally spit it out.

Mine always catches its poop and eats it. He'll wait behind the other fish and eat their's too - especially the starry blenny which makes big poops.

hkgar
08/20/2018, 10:07 AM
I thought only dogs did that. I had a dog that would stand by the cat box when the cat went, to get it straight from the oven. sorry, disgusting.