PDA

View Full Version : Best Skimmer under $400 for a 220?

Old Salt 64
08/30/2018, 10:21 AM
Getting my tank set up again after being down for the past year while building a new home and relocating. In the process my skimmer which used an injection nozzle and pump was damaged and parts lost. Looking at replacing the unit and need advise as to which skimmer many of you might recommend and where to purchase.

Thanks in advance,

Mike “Old Salt 64”

gcarroll
08/30/2018, 10:44 AM
I suggest looking into the used equipment section and buying the best skimmer you can with that $400.

Old Salt 64
08/30/2018, 11:00 AM
Thanks Greg!

I did take a look and based upon my new member status "I think" only 1 or 2 recent posts and several very old. I joined this site recently under a new member registration for I misplaced my password and my old email address no longer is in use, So it appears until one has several posts access is limited? Between my old membership I have over 250 posts in the past 10-15 years and have bought several items from people on RC.

That being said I have requested assistance from program administrators to assist in the recovery several times but my requests go unanswered. I'm even willing to upgrade my membership from freebie to paying.

Well that being said I still need some guidance on which skimmer is best and the most long lasting. The pump injection models ar what I am leaning towards.

Mike

Vinny Kreyling
08/30/2018, 12:05 PM
Take a look @ the Aquamax line, it is well liked among many members.
Skimz seems to be also.

Mike de Leon
08/30/2018, 03:48 PM
Save up a little and buy a quality skimmer, it will end up being the cheapest. With the money I spent over the years on skimmer, I could have bought a Bubble King and still have it today.
Not saying you should get a BK, but buy a good quality one and keep it for a while
ATB? Deltec?

Rio1969
08/30/2018, 06:12 PM
I like the MYC MVX series. I have the 26" with a short collection cup for my 100g. So far I like how it is working. It was $425 plus shipping. They occasionally show up in the FS section for less. You will also need a pump for it.

Old Salt 64
08/31/2018, 09:38 AM
After thinking about the less expensive limited skimmers I think I have settled on a Reef Octopus SRO-3000 EXT unit for slightly under $800. I also want to add a timer delay for the skimmer but not sure if I need to have a same for the supply pump also. Can anyone advise? Seems like it makes sense but I've never had a skimmer that needed two pumps before however I'm concerned about overflow.

Thanks in advance

Bono
08/31/2018, 05:24 PM
Im running a Aquamaxx Q-3 on my 210 gallon and i haven't had any issues in 2 years. If you shopped around ill bet you could find one new for under $400.

moondoggy4
09/01/2018, 09:49 AM
Get a Lifereef or like Rio stated a MYC MVX skimmer.