PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of my refugium/ opinions

fishkeeprian
09/04/2018, 07:12 AM
Thinking of getting rid of my refugium.

It was never set up to reduce nitrates and/phosphates as it's not big enough. it houses some live rock but there is a layer of thick detritus in the bottom, the cheato doesn't look brilliant, and it's probably just adding to the bioload rather than adding anything positive.

I was going to bin the Cheato, shop vac out the detritus and give the ump an overall and just run my carbon reactor in there.

What do you think, your thoughts what could I use the centre section for?

reefgeezer
09/04/2018, 07:23 AM
Not knowing anything about your tank, I'm commenting in a vacuum, but...

I took mine out. The tank runs as a simple Berlin method except for a small amount of vinegar added to promote some bacterial diversity. It runs well even with a pretty heavy bioload.

Bpb
09/04/2018, 07:24 AM
I am all for it. Unless you have a large refugium and like cleaning it all the time, they’re not overly effective and end up just serving as another point of messy maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mcgyvr
09/04/2018, 08:07 AM
If you aren't having problems that may be addressed by something then just leave it empty..

Just because we have space doesn't mean we need to fill it with something...

der_wille_zur_macht
09/04/2018, 08:22 AM
If you aren't having problems that may be addressed by something then just leave it empty..

Just because we have space doesn't mean we need to fill it with something...

Agreed. Before you discuss solutions, you need to know what the problem is. If there are no problems, you don't need a solution.

The only exception would be personal preference or personal interest. Some people may want a cryptic zone just because they think it's cool to watch tunicates and sponges grow like crazy, for instance.