PDA

View Full Version : Rimless frag tank help

Cabostyle
09/04/2018, 07:33 PM
Good evening all!
Finally getting back into it. Got me a nice used 120 gallon shallow rimless frag tank set up for a deal I couldn't refuse. Seems to be in amazing condition. The question I have is this, do the glass panels normally sit on top of the bottom panel or do they sit on the outside of the bottom panel? This tank has the panels sitting on the outside of the bottom panel. Reason for me asking is that the previous owner had it set up directly on a plywood top stand while I would prefer to place the tank on at least 1/4" foam however I have seen some smaller tank builds where all the pressure of the rimless tank is on top of the bottom panel. I'm wondering if both methods call for the same recommendation to be placed on foam.
Thank you!

mcgyvr
09/05/2018, 04:37 AM
Tanks can be made both ways..
Typically rimless tanks always require a specific foam to maintain their warranty and prevent pressure points..

Cabostyle
09/05/2018, 06:41 AM
Thank you. Unfortunately there is no longer and manufacturer sticker or name on the aquarium. In that case what should I use? 1/4" styrofoam, rubber mat, etc. The tank is 72" long, 30" deep, and 13" tall. Water level will be approximately 12". The glass is 1/2" thick.

Cabostyle
09/05/2018, 08:14 AM
I find another thread regarding this subject. It looks like everyone goes with 1/2" foam. I'll try it out and see how things go.