PDA

View Full Version : Dry rock and nuisance algae

artieg
09/05/2018, 03:18 PM
Tank up for three years, and in year 3 the GHA went bananas. Nitrate and Phosphate nearly undetectable now, but algae still going wild.

Starting to wonder: is it phosphate leaching from rock? When I started the tank I used several hundred pounds of quarried dry coral rock (not from ocean), cannot remember the brand. Then just cycled the tank. I did not bathe it in acid. Had normal GHA in first few months, but then went away. Now it is back and I can find no other source of phosphate.

How likely is this my problem? Anything to do, other than (a) wait it out or (b) break down the tank?

James77
09/05/2018, 04:00 PM
I don't think it likely that it would take that long for phosphate to start leeching from the rock. It sounds like that GHA has taken a foot hold and is eating up nutrients before you can detect them.

How bad is it? Can you scrape/siphon out it a little at a time and see if you make a dent in it? Whatever you scrape out just make sure its all removed.

Dan_P
09/05/2018, 05:38 PM
You might try a little investigation into the accumulation of material on and around the hair alga patches. Using a turkey baster, give the alga patches and surrounding rock a couple blasts of water. If the blasts seem to be dislodging a substantial amount of material, this might be what is providing the nutrients for the alga and smothering other, competing organisms.

Are there sufficient algae consuming animals in your system? Is coralline covering the rocks?

Dan

mcgyvr
09/06/2018, 04:33 AM
Fluconazole works wonders...2-3 weeks after treatment and your algae will be gone..