PDA

View Full Version : How much salt goes airborne from a saltwater tank?

warrenmichaels
09/10/2018, 08:02 PM
I'm experienced with freshwater tanks, but setting up my first saltwater. I'm concerned about airborne salt. I'm planning to set up my tank in my basement, which has some stuff that I don't want to get destroyed by salt. I'm concerned about just how pervasive salt dispersion is outside of a tank.

I'm trying to form a picture of just how bad salt is. I have a table saw that was stored in a carport (a structure with a roof but no walls) in a town next to the ocean. I'm surprised how much corrosion is on the saw, after just being stored in such a situation for five years. I've also heard of salt crystallizing on lights a foot above a tank's surface. However, I have heard that so long as there are no obvious bubbles in a tank, there is far less "salt creep". How much salt deposition have you noticed in your tank rooms? Do objects feel somewhat sticky after a few years? Have things corroded?

So, in a well-circulated tank, without bubbles, do I have to really worry about salt landing on things ten feet away? Is this the answer?

If not, I have two options. I might be able to move the tank elsewhere besides the basement, but I don't know if this is realistic. Another option is to fully cover the tank, and have a closed loop of air brought in from outside to aerate the surface of the water, then brought back outside. Designing a ducting/fan system for this is a serious pain.

Am I worrying over nothing? If this is a real concern, which solution is likely to be the best? Thanks.

mcgyvr
09/10/2018, 08:18 PM
Very little...just some salt creep in areas where water is "turbulent/splashing"...
Besides that nothing outside of a foot or so from the water will be harmed...

The salt doesnt evaporate either so you only top off with fresh water and not new saltwater...

Ryan Darilek
09/10/2018, 09:17 PM
Hopefully this makes you feel better... I have my 60 gallon topless tank less than 8" from my TV.... not a spec of salt has been on it. As Mac said, the salt does not evaporate into the air ... only the water does, making the room a slight bit more humid, but not sticky whatsoever :)https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180911/dc59c1d2726a2f451f744eb3503f41e4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

warrenmichaels
09/10/2018, 11:18 PM
Great! BTW, excuse the poor editing in the OP.

warrenmichaels
09/10/2018, 11:19 PM
One more thing...

Do you guys bubble your quarantine tanks, or just put powerheads in them also?

Ryan Darilek
09/10/2018, 11:29 PM
One more thing...

Do you guys bubble your quarantine tanks, or just put powerheads in them also?Just powerheads... but of you're going to have a QT with a HOB filter in lieu of a sump you may want to add an air stone :)

warrenmichaels
09/11/2018, 01:44 AM
Just powerheads... but of you're going to have a QT with a HOB filter in lieu of a sump you may want to add an air stone :)

Would the airstone give me a salt problem? From what I'm reading, it seems that salt mist is greatly exacerbated by bubbles.

I'm actually planning to put a Fluval U4 in the 10 gal QT with some sponges in it, maybe with a little powerhead also, but maybe not. The U4 has a venturi on it. I wasn't, and still am not, going to use the venturi, as this would be a sure way to great a tremendous salt mist. I wonder if an air stone would be needed with all this water movement.

As I'm typing this, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to use the U4. I bought it a while ago, and I just checked the prices. Geez, these things are like 80 bucks new. I wouldn't want to destroy it in the salt. Maybe I should just stuff the sponges in a soda bottle and plumb a pump to the other end.

sfdan
09/11/2018, 01:56 AM
When I set up 10 gallon quarantine tanks I use airstones and it creates quite a bit of salt creep even with tight fitting mesh covers. But my QT tanks are only temporary so it isn't a big deal to me. My DT creates little to no salt creep as there is only turbulent water flow and no airstones. So if salt creep is a big deal to you, avoid airstones. Otherwise you shouldn't have a problem.

mcgyvr
09/11/2018, 04:24 AM
The only place I would use an airstone in this hobby is inside of a skimmer if I wanted one driven by that..

A powerhead or filter pump is much better as it not only helps oxygenate the water but also keeps it moving preventing it from going stagnant..

warrenmichaels
09/11/2018, 09:02 AM
OK, thanks.

nereefpat
09/11/2018, 09:18 AM
Airstones work really well for tank transfer method, since they add O2 and can be discarded after use.

Other than that, I wouldn't use them.

Tastee
09/12/2018, 02:50 AM
I sometimes use an air stone in my QT if I have a few fish in there and are worried about O2 levels, but as others have said, and as you suggested, salt spray from them is a real issue. My QT is an Aqua One Reflex 35 with a fold over front, and I position the air stone as far under that as I can, and regulate the throughput down low, but I still get a lot of salt spray from it. I do not use one in my DT, turbulence and skimmer only.

From what I have read surface agitation is way more effective at oxygenation than air stones in any case. Personally I plan to only turn my air stone back on in the QT if I feel I hve a problem and rely on surface agitation instead. So I vote no for air stones.