PDA

View Full Version : Can you culture Tisbe, Tigger & Apocyclops copepods in 1 container?

duganderson
09/12/2018, 01:22 PM
I just spoke to someone at AlgaeBarn and he suggested using the 5280 as a starter culture for raising copepods. This culture has Tisbe, Tigriopus and Apocyclops copepods.

Can these three copepods be grown together in a breeding container OR is it better to breed different copepods in different containers?

I'm curious if he misunderstood that I was just seeding my tank. He was a super cool guy and seemed knowledgable.

He recommended their phyto that has 4 or 5 different types of phyto for food for the pods.

Any thoughts or opinions appreciated. Doug

sde1500
09/12/2018, 01:28 PM
I've raised them all as one, don't see why you can't. I've also raised them separately. Both seemed to work out the same. Only difference was I knew what type I was growing in each tank, and when I pulled some out to dose the DT I knew what type I was adding.

duganderson
09/12/2018, 01:41 PM
I've raised them all as one, don't see why you can't. I've also raised them separately. Both seemed to work out the same. Only difference was I knew what type I was growing in each tank, and when I pulled some out to dose the DT I knew what type I was adding.

Thanks! Any suggestions for phyo to use if growing all three.

sde1500
09/12/2018, 01:44 PM
Tetraselmis and Iso would be the best. I've read that nannochloropsis has too tough of an outer layer for many pods to eat well. I grew tet and nanno, but dosed teh nanno to my tank directly. Recently shut down the cultures as it was just one more thing to worry about weekly and I had too much to do.