PDA

View Full Version : Uneven stand top

jaybfresh
09/12/2018, 07:09 PM
Any input on how to correct this stand? One corner joint is uneven so it prevents full contact of the rim on one side. Looks like the low part needs to be filled in rather than the high end sanded down.

Should I just use a piece of plywood on top? Try to use wood filler? I know foam under a rimmed tank is a no-go, but what if it was foam strips just under the rim?

mcgyvr
09/12/2018, 07:27 PM
That wouldnt concern me one bit...

davocean
09/12/2018, 08:55 PM
I would sand that corner down w/ a block sander, and follow through to make sure tank sits properly.
That's me, what I'd do, but I'm a carpenter so it would bug me, and I'd prefer my tank sit flush

Misled
09/12/2018, 09:29 PM
I'm not a carpenter, but it would still bug me.

der_wille_zur_macht
09/13/2018, 04:47 AM
What size tank? Is this the bigger one you just bought?

I'd get a pack of cedar shakes, the starter row shingles. Then use one to shim between the tank and stand. You can cut it off flush with the our side edge of the trim and you'll never know it's there. Shakes are much wider than traditional shims which makes it easier to get good support over a longer area like the edge of a tank. Shimming is nice because you don't need the elbow grease of sanding/planing and you aren't taking finish off the stand.

jaybfresh
09/13/2018, 10:11 AM
The tank 48x24x16. Three and a half sides are totally flat, so there's just a small low area that doesn't make contact.

I'd hate to think about trying to sand or plane all the good boards to match the bad one.

reefinmike
09/13/2018, 01:53 PM
I put a strip of hard green foam sheet insulation between every tank and stand I have set up for ten years. It evens out any imperfections in the stands surface and never comes close to touching the tanks glass bottom. 100+ gallon tanks wont compress the foam more than 1/16".

Edit: also- tanks are much stronger than most people think. I worked at a pretty big fish store/wholesaler many years back and there were some tanks on stands/support systems that were so bowed/damaged from weight and water damage that entire 2-3 foot sections of the tank were hanging in air, only being supported on either end.

der_wille_zur_macht
09/14/2018, 04:46 AM
Edit: also- tanks are much stronger than most people think. I worked at a pretty big fish store/wholesaler many years back and there were some tanks on stands/support systems that were so bowed/damaged from weight and water damage that entire 2-3 foot sections of the tank were hanging in air, only being supported on either end.

That's true, really the thing that matters is keeping the support true (in plane) and supporting the corners/ends at least.

There was an LFS near here that used to have all their tanks (mostly 30g and 55g) on racks made from iron pipe, such that the ends of the tanks were the only thing touching the pipes. It was like that for decades.

But all that said, every time I face a situation like this on one of my own systems, I think to myself, "I'd sleep much better at night if I took half an hour to fix that, even if it doesn't actually need to be fixed" and so far I've been right!