PDA

View Full Version : Hospital tank question

SaltieG
10/08/2018, 08:40 AM
Hey all. Got a question about moving my fish over to a hospital tank to be treated. So I will start off and admit, I haven't quarantined new fish for quite some time. I know I have ich in my tank and my fish have fought it off just fine. That was however until I upgraded and the stress on the fish has caused me to lose some. I realize the error of my ways and have decided to treat the remaining fish and let the main display sit fallow.

My question is do I need to purchase a large hospital tank? These fish are used to a 180 and I'm afraid a small tank will just do them more harm than good. I have a naso tang, yellow tang, Niger trigger and some other smaller fish. I'm concerned about the tangs. They will be in the tank for atleast 8 weeks. They currently aren't showing any signs of sickness but I want to treat the underlying disease and quarantine any new fish from here on out.

Uncle99
10/08/2018, 09:00 AM
That's a great question
Confines do create stresses and you state that none have any signs of ich.
Treatment of hypo or copper runs about 30 days versus fallow of 72.
If no fish shows signs of ich, you could place them in a large tote for two weeks then inspect each one separately. If you find Ick, then they all have it.

40b is cheap, provide hiding spaces, and once treatment is complete, you could move to a large tote for the remaining 42 ish days.

tyleraoc
10/08/2018, 04:23 PM
I would also go with a 40 breeder, its a good size for temporarily holding fish. I have qt´d tangs for a month or two in one and they were completely fine.