PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer selection

Scubajoe1
10/13/2018, 10:38 AM
So I am upgrading from a 180 gallon to a 240 gallon reef tank. Currently I have a lifereef skimmer which has worked well. It's about 32" high. I was thinking about switching over to a reef octopus 220 elite. One thing with the venturi on the lifereef is that I want to run the airline outside and when I do this with the lifereef the venturi valve tends to salt up with the dry air. I won't have this issue with the pinwheel design. Any feedback between the two? Does anyone use the Octopus elite?

Thanks
Joe

untico
10/13/2018, 11:52 AM
I have a 400 gal total water volume system and use a Tunze DOC Skimmer 9430 DC . I’ve had many skimmers in the past and this Tunze is in a league of its own. Super simple to setup. Just turn on, adjust a knob on the controller, once set there’s nothing else to do other than emptying the cup. And you will never have an overflow. Highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJNTWise
10/14/2018, 09:42 AM
You can add a extension to your Lifereef skimmer and you should be good to go....

hkgar
10/16/2018, 01:53 PM
Stay with the Lifereef. I love the venturi and have an MTC. Stick the air tube in a couple cups of very hot/boiling water every couple months to clean out the salt.