PDA

View Full Version : replacing filter socks with Chaeto

Daddyrawg
10/23/2018, 12:53 PM
What do you guys think of the idea of removing my filter socks and putting a golf ball size chaeto in its place. It would share the same compartment of my skimmer so I may need create some sort of screen or barrier.. will be bare bottom in sump...

any problems in doing this?

Thanks everyone

Khazmodain
10/23/2018, 04:20 PM
That's the goal of a Triton sump. I have mine configured like that... first chamber is a large fuge with chaeto. No filter socks but I will occasionally use a filter pad to polish the water.

Daddyrawg
10/23/2018, 04:38 PM
That's the goal of a Triton sump. I have mine configured like that... first chamber is a large fuge with chaeto. No filter socks but I will occasionally use a filter pad to polish the water.

Yeah, check out my sump.. I was thinking about throwing chaeto in that first chamber but my large sump is there as well.. I also have a smaller chamber to the right maybe I can use?

Daddyrawg
10/23/2018, 05:01 PM

oh and what kind of filter pad and where do you put it?

Khazmodain
10/23/2018, 05:07 PM
The water exits my fuge and overflows over an eggcrate rack. I cut a bunch of strips of bonded filter pads to the size of that rack and just place it there as needed.

Daddyrawg
10/23/2018, 05:33 PM
The water exits my fuge and overflows over an eggcrate rack. I cut a bunch of strips of bonded filter pads to the size of that rack and just place it there as needed.

Gotcha

bertoni
10/25/2018, 10:22 PM
As long as the Chaetomorpha is kept trimmed and doesn't plug the waterway, that should be safe enough. I'd be cautious, though.

choco24
10/25/2018, 11:43 PM
��.... I just added some chaeto to my reactor. Maybe I’ll do the same .

zheka757
10/26/2018, 06:47 AM
have any one put chaeto inside the filter socks. kind of looking conviniet in a way.

bertoni
10/26/2018, 09:48 PM
I don't know anyone who has done that. I'd at least watch the sock carefully for a while. I don't know how well the Chaetomorpha would hold up to any given flow rate, and clogging is a major issue.

pfan151
10/27/2018, 08:30 PM
Not sure I understand the benefit of a golf ball size ball of chaeto. Seems like way more potential problems than it’s worth.

Daddyrawg
10/30/2018, 11:34 AM
I thinnk if need of macroalgae arrises I'll just buy a Hang on Refugium setup