PDA

View Full Version : Where should I store the water for my AWC system?

Chihuahua6
11/01/2018, 12:28 PM
Hi Folks. I'm building an auto water change system and very excited about it. I will have two holding containers to store ro and new saltwater. I'm going to use two 44 Gal Brute cans right now.

I can either store them in the equipment room. It's doable but space will be very tight. I can also plumb it down to the basement. Either way I will be using a pump to get the water into the tank for a few minuted per day, a bigger one if it goes into the basement.

Are there any disadvantages that I'm not aware of with plumbing it into the basement? It's all automated anyway except for adding salt to the salt container every two weeks.

_Mackus_
11/01/2018, 03:31 PM
If you're using the same pump for mixing as you would for pumping it up a level, the bigger pump needed for the extra head pressure could make your mixed saltwater pretty warm. Depending on the percent water changes you're doing, that could cause a pretty big change in temperature of your display when you do changes.

I do something similar, use a Mag12 to both mix saltwater and then pump it up a floor. If I leave the pump mixing the water for about a day, the temp rises to over 90 degrees. I'm only changing about 10-15% of the water though so it only raises the display temp by a degree or two. If you're doing 33%+ changes, then you could see the much bigger temp swing. Of course if you are changing larger quantities of water, it'll take a lot longer time for your pump to raise the temp in the mixing container.

tkeracer619
11/02/2018, 09:59 AM
How are you setting up the AWC?

hkgar
11/03/2018, 11:47 AM
Do you have a sump? My DT is plumbed to the basement where my sump I have two Brutes, one for ATO and one for AWC. I have an Apex to control both.