PDA

View Full Version : How many hydras on a 50g cube

LinkinReef
11/20/2018, 08:55 AM
I'm thinking of switching my lights to hydras HD and I'm wondering how many I would need. The tank is mostly spa with a few lps and zoas.

I was thinking 2 x hydras 26 hd placed from front to back. Would this give me enough to light with no shadowing?

My other option is 2 x hydras 52 hd. The main reason for this is because I might upgrade the tank in a year or two. But in the meantime, would two of these be Overkill for the cube? I'm assuming sps would be happy and there won't be any shadowing.

Saving money right now isn't an issue and I can do the 52's with the mentality that I will be upgrading down the road to a bigger tank.

lpsouth1978
11/20/2018, 12:55 PM
Two 52's is definitely overkill for this tank. Two 26's would be a much better choice for this tank, but it you will be upgrading to a larger tank and could use the 52's on it, there is no reason you could not use them on the 50, just turn them down a good ways.

billdogg
11/22/2018, 09:28 AM
Two 52's is definitely overkill for this tank. Two 26's would be a much better choice for this tank, but it you will be upgrading to a larger tank and could use the 52's on it, there is no reason you could not use them on the 50, just turn them down a good ways.

^^^this^^^

Because LED's are almost infinitely controllable - especially in regards to intensity - getting the more powerful ones now is really the only choice IMO. If you spend the $$$ on the less powerful ones now, you will just be throwing money away.

LinkinReef
11/25/2018, 10:12 AM
I was hoping that they went on sale this weekend, but that didn't happen. I'll be getting the 52's instead. Thanks guys!

aznflyfisherman
11/26/2018, 11:08 AM
I say get two 52s if you have the cash..

gcarroll
11/26/2018, 03:16 PM
You could have considered the Radion XR15 pros as they did go on sale! maybe even going with 4 to maximize the discount.