PDA

View Full Version : Salifert Nitrate Test

Icewing726
11/26/2018, 12:30 PM
I got this after being shown how to use it in a LFS. For low range I was told to look through the side, for high range I was told to look through the top. My question is do I look at the color in the center or edges when looking top down? Am I supposed to pool it to one side first?

I tried watching videos on this but all the "instructional" videos showed was perfect water being tested... Not sure how you can review a test kit that may not work at all with perfect water (clear result)...

Anyway any knowledge someone can share would be appreciated.

Yonp11
11/26/2018, 01:32 PM
if youre looking from top down just look at the center. You shouldn't have to pool it to a side if you're looking top down. The color should be the same in the center as it is on the edges.

You're supposed to put it on the white part of the colormatching paper, and look down onto it in a well lit room.

If you can't tell the color difference well by looking top down, it means you need to look from the side (the low range)

Icewing726
11/26/2018, 01:59 PM
if youre looking from top down just look at the center. You shouldn't have to pool it to a side if you're looking top down. The color should be the same in the center as it is on the edges.

You're supposed to put it on the white part of the colormatching paper, and look down onto it in a well lit room.

If you can't tell the color difference well by looking top down, it means you need to look from the side (the low range)

When I look top down the edges (right next to the cup) get darker then the majority of the center. Most likely due to the light diffusing right there.

I've been going by whats in the majority of the center, but I saw someone show the camera his test and he tilted the cup to where it pooled on one side (didn't think that was correct).

mcgyvr
11/27/2018, 05:50 AM
Make it easy.. If its any bit pink you have work to do ;)
If you are like "is that clear or is there a slight tinge of pink.. I can barely tell" then your work is done

Icewing726
11/27/2018, 08:09 AM
I'm still dosing mcgyvr, just trying to capture my journey from 100 (down to 40 range right now).

homer1475
11/28/2018, 07:01 AM
Save yourself some headache(hate the salifert nitrate test), and get the red sea pro nitrate kit. Color changes are way easier to see, and they give you 2 bottles, and a color wheel to compare to. One bottle you put plain water in, second bottle you do your test in. Let sit for 9 minutes then rotate the wheel to match colors between the 2 bottles.

cincyjim
11/28/2018, 07:59 AM
+1 on the Red Sea Pro Nitrate kit.

mcgyvr
11/28/2018, 11:10 AM
Or get the Nyos nitrate test kit.. ;)
Easier than both of those IMO..

homer1475
11/28/2018, 11:31 AM
Or get the Nyos nitrate test kit.. ;)
Easier than both of those IMO..

Don't trust the NYOS kit. While it certainly is easier to use, I found it not very accurate.

West1
11/28/2018, 11:40 AM
I wonder if there is a camera color lense that could help.
Just brainstorming out loud.

Aquageek450
11/28/2018, 12:25 PM
For Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate just use the API test kits. They give you clear results that are easy to determine. Especially for your initial cycle. And are readily available at your local pet store. Honestly, the Salifert test kits for these three are horrible to read.

kfisc
11/28/2018, 12:46 PM
Even more honestly, you could save money on kits in the long-term: your tank will tell you if there's too much nitrate by way of pest algae and bursts of other life that comes from overfeeding/poor nutrient control. Seriously, after your first year or two, you'll wonder at how often you used to perform tests. It gets better.

mcgyvr
11/28/2018, 03:10 PM
Don't trust the NYOS kit. While it certainly is easier to use, I found it not very accurate.

I had no problems with its accuracy.. (I also have the red sea and salifert kits)
(I think we have had this discussion before :) )

gprdypoo04
12/02/2018, 11:18 PM
I hope the nyos kit is more accurate because its been showing lower levels of nitrate from running biopellets than salifert. Might try red sea after.

hkgar
12/03/2018, 02:32 PM
+1 on the Red Sea Pro Nitrate kit.

I use both Red SeaPro and Salifert

Salfert to determine whether to do high or low range with the Red Sea

homer1475
12/03/2018, 02:42 PM
I had no problems with its accuracy.. (I also have the red sea and salifert kits)
(I think we have had this discussion before :) )

Yes, Yes we have. :lolspin:

hkgar
12/03/2018, 03:32 PM
Yes, Yes we have. :lolspin:

And probably again. There are many discussions that get re-upped.