PDA

View Full Version : What factors effect snails to die??

Daddyrawg
12/03/2018, 06:41 PM
Considering temp 79-80 and no hermit crabs and everything else thriving?

Ive gotten 10 snails and 1 only has survived and they die within days...

WHat the problem is? can it be the 80 temp? maybe pests im not aware of?

mcgyvr
12/03/2018, 07:10 PM
Salinity?
Quality of supply?
80f does not cause snails to die but your temp could be off I suppose..

Uncle99
12/03/2018, 08:11 PM
Some species of snails like Margarite snails come from cooler waters and don't live too long, maybe a month or so in warmer waters like 78-80. What was the type of snails you lost?

Daddyrawg
12/04/2018, 12:23 AM
Some species of snails like Margarite snails come from cooler waters and don't live too long, maybe a month or so in warmer waters like 78-80. What was the type of snails you lost?

trocuhus and turbo snails.. whats weird is my nassarius snails havent died

FortyFour
12/04/2018, 12:42 AM
Are you drip acclimating them?

Daddyrawg
12/04/2018, 01:02 AM

yep

homer1475
12/04/2018, 05:30 AM

yep

Why? they are snails, unless your QTing them just float bag to match temp, dump in. Salinity with inverts should always be very close to 1.026. They are not like fish where they can be kept down to 1.019 and drip acclimating will slowly bring the salinity up.

There is a sticky up at the top of this forum about death in bags. One should read up on it.

Scott07
12/04/2018, 12:18 PM
Do you know your magnesium level? High Mg can affect invertibrates, especially snails in my experience, negatively.

Daddyrawg
12/04/2018, 04:03 PM
Do you know your magnesium level? High Mg can affect invertibrates, especially snails in my experience, negatively.

I don't since I only have a couple corals in a 90 i just rely on my weekly 10% water changes to balance out calc/alk/mag

Anemone
12/04/2018, 08:09 PM
Why? they are snails, unless your QTing them just float bag to match temp, dump in. Salinity with inverts should always be very close to 1.026. They are not like fish where they can be kept down to 1.019 and drip acclimating will slowly bring the salinity up.

IME, snails are VERY susceptible to osmotic shock and will die if not allowed to acclimate slowly in water, or acclimate more quickly out of water (by this, I mean I generally remove the snails from the bag and place them on a plate for a few minutes(this allows them to expel the water in their shell). Then, I allow them to attach to the tank glass just above the water line and enter the water on their own. This method has greatly reduced death in newly introduced snails).

FWIW,
Kevin

Daddyrawg
12/04/2018, 10:14 PM
IME, snails are VERY susceptible to osmotic shock and will die if not allowed to acclimate slowly in water, or acclimate more quickly out of water (by this, I mean I generally remove the snails from the bag and place them on a plate for a few minutes(this allows them to expel the water in their shell). Then, I allow them to attach to the tank glass just above the water line and enter the water on their own. This method has greatly reduced death in newly introduced snails).

FWIW,
Kevinsmart..ill try this method next thx

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

billdogg
12/05/2018, 03:42 PM

FWIW,
Kevin

^^^THIS, x 1000^^^

I "acclimate" mine the same way and my losses have dropped dramatically since I started do it this way. Check the salinity in the bags they come in and match it as closely as possible.

peekay
12/06/2018, 08:30 AM

FWIW,
Kevin

Great information!! I'm just ordered a CUC from Reefcleaners.org. I will ensure to acclimate my snails using this method.

PK

kevin21
12/06/2018, 10:39 AM
Reefcleaners gives good acclimation advice as well. I like what was mentioned above too. If salinity is matched, follow the above advice. The more they drip acclimate, the more ammonia that can build and more stress on the snails.

bcb577
12/06/2018, 09:49 PM
Considering temp 79-80 and no hermit crabs and everything else thriving?

Ive gotten 10 snails and 1 only has survived and they die within days...

WHat the problem is? can it be the 80 temp? maybe pests im not aware of?

How long has the tank been up? Just a shot in the dark but do they have sufficient food supply?

Daddyrawg
12/07/2018, 01:22 PM
How long has the tank been up? Just a shot in the dark but do they have sufficient food supply?

6 months and there is GHA