PDA

View Full Version : Going away for 7-8 days.. kinda worried about my tank..

candymancan
12/21/2018, 12:31 AM
So i have about 8 tanks in my house, 3 are 2.5-5g tanks the rest 27-30-60-92-135g tanks.

Two are salt, the rest fresh... I've never been gone for more then 3 days and when i did go i had a discus get stuck and die and foul my tank when i came back... For my reef tank im kinda freaking out.. My mom wants to visit my brother his wife and 2 year old kid for christmas and she wants me to go. TBH is it weird i dont want to go lol. Im going because its a 800 mile drive and i dont want her driving for 13 hours alone because i know shell do it without taking breaks plus her Jeep is 20 years old and i work on cars so i feel better if i go.

Anyway, do you guys worry as much as i am ? Im like not able to sleep on these last 2 days.. Im not worried about my corals as i have a automatic timer for the lighting, but the fish i worry about. I spent about $500 in fish the last month or two and i feel like without me there to watch them something will happen.. My friend who rents the basement i showed her how to feed all my fish and turn on the lights of all my tanks and she had to write it all down.. which didnt instill much confidence as it isnt hard to do... open top.. put hand in with frozen cube break it apart put top back on... and to keep the water level filled every couple days.

I dunno, i have this feeling im going to come home to a dead Yellow eye/Kole tang and a dead Yellow tang in the other tank, and all my green chromis or my flame angel will be dead.. and itll foul my tank and kill everything else because im not there to take the bodies out lol. I dont know why they would die lol but im just saying

Vinny Kreyling
12/21/2018, 08:49 AM
You can do either of 2 things.
Get an Eheim battery operated feeder. (one of the best)
Portion out food for her to feed into a small plastic cup. (easy peasy)
Every other day should be fine for her visits.
Do you have premade RO water for top off?

Constantine
12/21/2018, 11:49 AM
I've left my 55 gal reef for a whole week all the time. I have someone come by 2-3 times to drop in some flake. Nothing else required. I manually top off, and can go a couple weeks without needing to. I don't have any high price SPS corals or anything though. I put portions of flake in a weekly vitamin tray. Those have 7 compartments. I don't care about the dates, I just don't want over feeding. I think the biggest issue could come from a friend dumping way too much food in there. A pinch vs a PINCH of food. IMO, fish can pick at stuff in the tank and survive a week. So, your friend should be able to keep things going just fine.

Djbeasley05
12/21/2018, 12:07 PM
I've left my 55 gal reef for a whole week all the time. I have someone come by 2-3 times to drop in some flake. Nothing else required. I manually top off, and can go a couple weeks without needing to. I don't have any high price SPS corals or anything though. I put portions of flake in a weekly vitamin tray. Those have 7 compartments. I don't care about the dates, I just don't want over feeding. I think the biggest issue could come from a friend dumping way too much food in there. A pinch vs a PINCH of food. IMO, fish can pick at stuff in the tank and survive a week. So, your friend should be able to keep things going just fine.

Love the idea of a pill tray!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pfan151
12/21/2018, 12:46 PM
I bought a cheap camera to put for when I was on vacation. Was only about $50 and the quality is at least good enough to see the fish swimming and know the return pump is running. The one I have is called Clever Dog

smalltalk
12/21/2018, 03:11 PM
Invest in an ATO for the marine tanks, portion the food out for feeding and you should be golden for a week no problem. I always do a water change the day before I leave but it’s probably not necessary, I’ve got a back up battery for the vortechs, but never been needed. I’m over 4000 miles and a couple of continents away from my tanks right now and not worried about them.

candymancan
12/21/2018, 05:28 PM
good idea on rhe food portions i didnt think of doing that. thats a big worry if she will break off too much seaweed or put too many flakes in... Or use the entire cube of mysis when the tank only needs about half of the cube.

I told her and showed her half a cube then toss the rest in my 135 for my discus.

but still.

tc2007
12/21/2018, 07:54 PM
Are you a member of a local Facebook reefing group? If so find and hire someone nearby willing to visit your house every day and take care of it. Install an internet webcam so you can monitor stuff.