PDA

View Full Version : Removing filter membranes

Daddi0
12/22/2018, 05:08 PM
I picked up a ro/di unit from BRS this summer and it has been chugging right along. It has 5 canisters (sediment, 2 carbons, 2 di ) and 2 membranes. The only possible place to mount it is outside. Well it is 50 degrees out and production grinded to a halt - 0 - all water goes out the waste line. I presume this is normal when it is this cold? The pressure meter showed 0 psi. I removed the membranes from the system 'cause at a minimum I have to have top off water now. I am showing 0 TDS from the outflow. Anyone have any thoughts?
Cheers! Mark

outssider
12/22/2018, 05:25 PM
I notice less product water in the winter than the summer.....my ro/di is in the garage but it's not that cold in the S.F. valley......I have an adjustable flow restrictor on the exhaust water so I could force out more product water if I wanted to but I'm at about 2.5/1 in the summer so I haven't adjusted it......

Daddi0
12/22/2018, 05:32 PM
I notice less product water in the winter than the summer.....my ro/di is in the garage but it's not that cold in the S.F. valley......I have an adjustable flow restrictor on the exhaust water so I could force out more product water if I wanted to but I'm at about 2.5/1 in the summer so I haven't adjusted it......
So if I put a shut off on the end of the waste line and turn it til I only get a trickle of waste it is better?

Daddi0
12/22/2018, 06:08 PM
Ok, I plumbed the membrane back into the unit and put a shut off valve on the waste line. I adjusted it so that I only reject a small trickle and am making water. Incoming TDS is 3 and output is 0. Is this gonna be acceptable?
Cheers! Mark
filter unit pressure has gone up from 0 to 20lbs

outssider
12/23/2018, 11:03 AM
So if I put a shut off on the end of the waste line and turn it til I only get a trickle of waste it is better?

This is what I would try....20lb pressure seems low though

bertoni
12/23/2018, 05:15 PM
I don't know how well the filter will handle that setup, but it might be fine. Where are you measuring the pressure? Can you measure the pressure going into the first cartridge.

Daddi0
12/23/2018, 06:49 PM
I have a full set of replacement filters if these foul. My house has 60psi. It is really my only option besides buying water for $1.25 per gallon.
Cheers! Mark

bertoni
12/23/2018, 07:55 PM
Okay, I guess I wouldn't worry all that much.

mcgyvr
12/25/2018, 08:46 AM
Something is not right...at 50deg you should not be experiencing a total loss of product water like that.. Maybe a 30% change at most..
And where is your pressure gauge located in the system...you should have 60 psi at the inlet..
And close to that further in....0-20psi is not right at all..

Daddi0
12/30/2018, 09:22 PM
Ok, got her figured out. My buddy told me to change out both the carbon filters and now I am at 55psi and making good water.
Cheers! Mark