PDA

View Full Version : Herbie overflow changes every time I cycle the return

C00kieduster
01/01/2019, 09:14 PM
I’ll try to be quick. I have a 65g drilled (bottom) with a Herbie overflow. My tank has been up and running for a few years. For as long as I can remember the water level in the overflow has only needed minor adjustment to the gate valve here and there to keep the level right at the emergency drain(slight trickle).

Usually when I feed or do some maintenance I turn off the return and skimmer, do what I need, turn on the return wait a few minutes for the water level to return to normal in the sump and overflow, fire up the skimmer and we’re all good. No adjustments needed to the gate valve. MAYBE a tiny adjustment weekly. I’m talking 1/16” turn on the gate.

Here lately, when I got through the same process, I’m needing to make big changes in the gate valve to get the water to actually fill up in the return. I’m having to close the gate valve to level up the overflow. Before turning off the return everything was perfect.

Case in point, tonight. Everything was running perfect. I do my feeding procedure, then fire up return pump. And now, the overflow is draining so fast it won’t even get a full siphon. I had to make a few pretty sizable adjustments to the valve (closing) to allow the return to fill up. Now that it’s stable, if I power cycle again, it won’t just go back to how it was.

There’s only 2 45 degree turns in the plumbing it’s almost a straight drop. No recent changes to the system.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca1ore
01/01/2019, 10:04 PM
I would check the pump for any accumulated debris.

homer1475
01/02/2019, 04:30 AM
I would check the pump for any accumulated debris.

+1

had the same thing happen to me, and it happen to be some feather dusters(you know those tiny red one that seem to be everywhere theres no light) slightly blocking the return flow. I would have never found it if I didn't pull all my plumbing.