PDA

View Full Version : Inline Temperature probe for RO/DI feed?

FishTri
01/03/2019, 05:20 PM
Now that it's cold outside, RO/DI production is way down. Has anybody found a good way to monitor the temperature of the water coming in to your RO/DI system?

Along with pressure gauges, it would be helpful to know the incoming temperature.

So far, the best I've come up with is to use a brewer's thermometer rigged into some pvc fittings and installed in-line between the fresh water connection and the first sediment filter. Has anybody come up with a better solution?

EnderG60
01/04/2019, 12:16 PM
Whats the point of knowing the incoming temp? Its not like youre going to add an inline heater when the temps drop.

Just add a booster pump or hook it to your hot water and call it a day.

FishTri
01/04/2019, 12:29 PM
The system already has a booster pump - production is still barely a trickle. Incoming water temp is 53° F (and it hasn't really gotten cold outside yet...)

The RO/DI system is right next to the salt water mixing container, which has a 500w heating element (If I do a thirty gallon water change without pre-heating the new salt water, the display tank temp can drop five degrees in a matter of minutes).

For my last batch of RO/DI water, I dropped a 25' coil of 1/4" tubing into the new salt water container and heated water to 80° F. Don't hold me to these exact numbers, but if I remember correctly I was able to raise incoming water temperature from 53° F to 67° F which made a significant difference in RO/DI production.

I still need to play around with length of hose in the warm water bath and temperature of the warm water bath.

An inline temperature gauge would let me know when I can run directly off water from the street, vs. needing to bypass it thru the warm water bath. It would also let me fine tune the temperature coming in to the RO/DI system.

theatrus
01/04/2019, 12:48 PM
Now that it's cold outside, RO/DI production is way down. Has anybody found a good way to monitor the temperature of the water coming in to your RO/DI system?

Along with pressure gauges, it would be helpful to know the incoming temperature.

So far, the best I've come up with is to use a brewer's thermometer rigged into some pvc fittings and installed in-line between the fresh water connection and the first sediment filter. Has anybody come up with a better solution?

Epoxy-pot any temperature sensor into a quick-connect T?

mcgyvr
01/04/2019, 07:38 PM
You can get a temp gauge just like you can get a pressure gauge from any plumbing supply house or amazon..
Search npt temperature gauge
You can also get some with a digital output to control a relay or whatever..

FishTri
01/05/2019, 10:08 AM
You can get a temp gauge just like you can get a pressure gauge from any plumbing supply house or amazon..
Search npt temperature gauge
You can also get some with a digital output to control a relay or whatever..

Done. On its way. 1/2" NPT with a 2" probe. I'll rig it in to a PVC "T" with quick-connects on either side. May have to add a nipple or adapter to allow for the length of the probe.

Thanks for the suggestion.