PDA

View Full Version : phosphate vs copepods?

xeanliao
01/26/2019, 11:08 AM
Due to late of maintenance for long periods of time, the algae broke 2 months ago, that caused most of corals died ... (even my out-of-control purple mushroom died, too)

Most of my observation seem understandable, except I also found my dragonet is becoming very skinny, no pods to be found anymore. The most odds observation is those margrita snails refused to out their feet on those algae. They rather flip upside down without lands on those brown/green algae, I have three tangs they used to kiss the rock all day, but they don't touch those algae at all.

I would guess algae outbreak may benefits pods and snails? with Phosguard, the algae immediately under control, but my dragnet seems dying. Do you think there is something going on?

TheCamaroShow
01/26/2019, 11:31 AM
you should be adding pods and cuc every 6 months atleast.

Uncle99
01/26/2019, 07:42 PM
A tank with some 1 year old LR with a mandarin and no other pod competitor is sufficient.
This ones 26 months old and I have never supplemented any pods.

He eats nothing else.

So what size tank, how much rock, how long been running, what types of other fish you keep, I will venture and say at least one wrasse.

bertoni
01/26/2019, 10:36 PM
At this point, you might need to restock some of the small animal species. Some amphipods, copepods, and mysid shrimp might be a good place to start. I found that feeding phytoplankton also seemed to help the small animal populations.