PDA

View Full Version : Coraline algae additives.

FireViper
01/31/2019, 03:13 PM
As I mentioned in a prior thread, we've made some DIY live rocks from cement, sand, and aragonite (next time, we'll try oyster shell). They're getting close to being finished curing, as the pH levels are almost normal in the tank.

We're planning to do one last water change then add both bacteria and coraline algae to the tank where they are curing to kick start the process of making them somewhat live. We have a heater set to 78 and small powerhead for flow.

First, does this make sense to do? Second, does it make sense to add some coraline algae to the reef tank as well. Some of our LFS live rock is already covered, some not. As an aside, we do have our first bits of coraline algae growing on the glass of the tank.

Thanks!

jlmawp
01/31/2019, 05:49 PM
When you say "add coralline algae", what method are you using? Scrapings?

You have LR from a LFS...how much in comparison to the homemade stuff that is curing?

Did you cycle the homemade already? Meaning did you add ammonia to produce a population of bacteria on the curing rock?

Are the curing rock and the LFS rock already together in the same container/tank?

We need some more specifics before being able to answer your questions, I think. Not enough detail to give a reliable answer.

FireViper
01/31/2019, 06:06 PM
Bottled coralline algae from a place in Florida.

40% LFS LR (20lbs), already in the reef tank. 60% (30lbs) still in the curing tank.

I've not cycled the rock in the curing tank by adding ammonia, but have occasionally added bottled bacteria. Plan to add more, as well.

See above, the live rock from the LFS is already in the reef tank. All parameters seem to be in good shape. The DIY rock will be added to the reef tank when I think it's ready.

Thanks for the help!

jlmawp
01/31/2019, 08:43 PM
I've not cycled the rock in the curing tank by adding ammonia, but have occasionally added bottled bacteria. Plan to add more, as well.

This might work, but typically the bacteria you want in a saltwater tank grow by munching on ammonia and nitrite. I'm not sure just adding the bottled stuff will do it. Either way, if you put this in the tank with the LR, it will cycle soon enough.

I'm curious to see the product you got that claims to be coralline in a bottle. Typically, those are products that are just alk and calcium mixed together to create better conditions FOR growing coralline. A lot of people on here will say it's snake oil, other swear by it. I think it's somewhere in-between.

If you really want to spread coralline, take some that you already have and scrape it off the rock into a small bowl with some saltwater. I used a mortar and pestle to grind it up a bit, then add it back to the tank in from on a powerhead or pump. Do that, and also keep you calcium at or above 400, and you'll be hating how much you have soon enough.

FireViper
01/31/2019, 09:23 PM
This might work, but typically the bacteria you want in a saltwater tank grow by munching on ammonia and nitrite. I'm not sure just adding the bottled stuff will do it. Either way, if you put this in the tank with the LR, it will cycle soon enough.

I'm curious to see the product you got that claims to be coralline in a bottle. Typically, those are products that are just alk and calcium mixed together to create better conditions FOR growing coralline. A lot of people on here will say it's snake oil, other swear by it. I think it's somewhere in-between.

If you really want to spread coralline, take some that you already have and scrape it off the rock into a small bowl with some saltwater. I used a mortar and pestle to grind it up a bit, then add it back to the tank in from on a powerhead or pump. Do that, and also keep you calcium at or above 400, and you'll be hating how much you have soon enough.

Thanks for the reply. Calcium in the reef tank is at 450, and coralline is growing on the glass.

Here's a link to the bottled product, no clue if it will work: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DN2HSSQ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07DN2HSSQ&pd_rd_w=CdC6J&pf_rd_p=21517efd-b385-405b-a405-9a37af61b5b4&pd_rd_wg=yy9Cg&pf_rd_r=V868JDT62K06P2S4P5BC&pd_rd_r=118333c5-21e1-11e9-a3e3-9d3e2bf80cd4. The guy at the LFS is willing to scrape of algae for us to add to the mix, as well.

While buying live rock may have been more expedient, it's been a fun project for my daughter and me, especially as it gets her off her phone and youtube.