PDA

View Full Version : Holy Bristleworms, Batman . . . .

FireViper
02/06/2019, 03:57 PM
We've a fairly new tank and all seems to going well--cycled and thriving so far. Added a few tiny berghia today to take care of a small aiptasia outbreak, so I turned out the lights, powerhead and filter. Within just a few minutes, well over a dozen bristleworms popped out: some from the sand, most from the live rocks, and even one from under a coral plug.

I was stunned. Previously we had counted three, but over a dozen. Wow. How many are too many, and how does a newbie tell a good worm from a bad one. I've done some reading am still not sure. Most are quite skinny and blueish grey. A couple appear to have an all red section followed by a blueish grey section.

As always, thanks in advance for the insights!

mcgyvr
02/06/2019, 04:53 PM
For the most part worms population just like everything else in a tank is fueled by available food..
Keep nutrient levels under control and most things won't get to crazy levels..
Bristleworms and many other creatures that many would be scared of can be very beneficial and add needed diversity to a system..

In general if you maintain a healthy system their levels (and everything else) will stay properly controlled..
Most worms are harmless.. Just need to watch out for bobbit/eunice worms and a few others..

If you haven't already seen/bookmarked it this site is very good to know about and check out
https://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhikers-guide/
It covers most of the common stuff and has a simple thumbs up/down rating system..

FireViper
02/06/2019, 08:31 PM
For the most part worms population just like everything else in a tank is fueled by available food..
Keep nutrient levels under control and most things won't get to crazy levels..
Bristleworms and many other creatures that many would be scared of can be very beneficial and add needed diversity to a system..

In general if you maintain a healthy system their levels (and everything else) will stay properly controlled..
Most worms are harmless.. Just need to watch out for bobbit/eunice worms and a few others..

If you haven't already seen/bookmarked it this site is very good to know about and check out
https://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhikers-guide/
It covers most of the common stuff and has a simple thumbs up/down rating system..

Thanks! Great link also!

mann1139
02/10/2019, 05:18 AM
I had the same issue with a tank... when food would hit the worms would come out.

You call them blue/red, I call them purple/pink.

I ended up doing the PVC worm trap, which thinned the herd down to a non-disgusting level.