PDA

View Full Version : Red leg hermit question

Subillbo
02/17/2019, 06:21 PM
Hey peeps.... I've had 2 red leg hermit crabs for about 6 months with no issues... they have been with my pulsing xenia for the same amount of time. Lately i have seen them both on the coral, i thought nothing of it, until there was a new branch extending from 1 of the bases and now the new branch is gone! R they eating the xenia? Any1 else have issues with this?

Thanks

Uncle99
02/17/2019, 06:47 PM
all crabs are scavengers and as such, can resort to picking at corals if hungry.
I have also seen them try for slow or sleeping fish.
Avoid crabs avoid problems.

lifeoffaith
02/18/2019, 06:36 AM
all crabs are scavengers and as such, can resort to picking at corals if hungry.
I have also seen them try for slow or sleeping fish.
Avoid crabs avoid problems.

For the most part I will also avoid crabs. The exception is the crimson leg reef hermit crabs. They tend to do much less to no naughty stuff. Red legs and blue legs are the most common ones we see in the hobby, but they are risky if you want snails and can resort to eating other good stuff.

ReefWreak
02/18/2019, 08:54 AM
I have emeralds now because it was a last ditch effort to get rid of bubble algae. But I do not trust crabs, and otherwise would not have any in my tank. Hermits, emerald, etc. I don't trust any of them. I somewhat worry about my fishes, but so far I haven't seen any bothered by an emerald crab yet.

Jason05
02/18/2019, 02:53 PM
Never had a problem with emeralds or scarlets but red leg and absolutely blue leg. Blue leg are the worse they will eat anything snails other crabs and have seen them picking at corals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle99
02/18/2019, 03:50 PM
I think emeralds are an exception.
Low risk IMO.