PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious cloudy water

Floowid
03/01/2019, 01:14 PM
I did a 15% water change on Wednesday. As part of the overall maintenance I pulled one of my heaters and cleaned all the gunk off. I inadvertently bumped the temp setting and maxed it out. It didn't go far before I noticed, but the tank temp had risen to 83 degrees from the usual rock steady 78. It took me about 5 hours to notice, so it rose about 1 degree an hour. I reset it and the temp slowly came back down over the course of a day. Last night (about exactly one day after bringing the temp back down) I was doing my usual puttering around with the tank right before the white lights went out and it was completely clear and happy. After the white lights went out but the blue were still coming down I noticed the water was VERY cloudy. I mini panicked and checked all tests, temp, salinity, everything. It was all fine, and all the fish and coral looked happy. I put a filter bag on (usually don't run one except for special conditions) and went to bed. Today it is clear as a bell and everything looks great. I am sure I didn't bring anything in on my hands as I am super conscious of only putting clean, dry, soap and lotion free (don't use lotion anyway) hands into the tank.

I am wondering if something could have spawned due to the rise in temp and change in water quality (slight, from the water change). I have a RBT anemone, a pair of cleaner shrimp that are always carrying eggs, and lots of run of the mill corals. I have a refugium full of grape caulerpa and cheato. Corals include lots of montipora, two types of candy/trumpet, a duncan, a frogspawn, zoos, some xenia, some green star polyps, fungia plate, photo gorgonian, and a war coral.

I have heard of macro algae "going sexual" but I'm not sure what that really means, but it could be it. Does anybody see any coral or macro algae on the list that could do a water clouding spawn?

Auston
03/02/2019, 04:40 AM
It could be a spawn event but I first thought was a bacterial bloom. The rise in temperature may have killed off some bacteria or micro fauna(spelling?) Allowing something to explode in growth.