PDA

View Full Version : Shiming the Stand

zizziz
03/06/2019, 11:12 PM
Got a new 75g and the floor is not level, the tanks leans forward bad. Can I just put a board across the bottom (pic). The bottom of the tank is flat. I can't even believe that this "cheap" stand can hold a 76 gallon to begin with but thats a different story.

frankenFurter
03/07/2019, 12:25 AM
That things looks scary. I personally would be very cautious about putting any kind of heavy weight on it. Just my 0.02.

tkeracer619
03/07/2019, 12:52 AM
You will need to shim the tank so that the entire bottom is supported. Just putting a board across the front will put stress points into the stand. Those stands are fine but need to be completely supported.

Personally, in this situation... I would build a wood frame where the inner dimensions are the size of the base of the stand. Lay down plastic inside it. Then fill the frame with self leveling compound. When it hardens it would create a level platform for the stand to sit on. I'd either make the frame ascetically pleasing or remove it and paint the platform so it blends in...

Why is the floor leaning like that?

billdogg
03/07/2019, 09:29 AM
You will need to shim the tank so that the entire bottom is supported. Just putting a board across the front will put stress points into the stand. Those stands are fine but need to be completely supported.

Personally, in this situation... I would build a wood frame where the inner dimensions are the size of the base of the stand. Lay down plastic inside it. Then fill the frame with self leveling compound. When it hardens it would create a level platform for the stand to sit on. I'd either make the frame ascetically pleasing or remove it and paint the platform so it blends in...

Why is the floor leaning like that?

^^^This^^^

Most importantly, the last sentence. That your floor has that much slope to it in such a short distance speaks to the structural integrity of the house. Heck - I'd be more than a little concerned if my floor was that far off across the entire house!

mcgyvr
03/07/2019, 11:12 AM
Holy crap... :eek2:
With that much slope someone 10ft away would be almost 6" lower...
Me thinks the trailer jack needs a couple turns to bring it back level or your wheels are sinking in the mud or something :p