PDA

View Full Version : How long is defrosted frozen food good for?

BonesCJ
03/07/2019, 03:02 PM
If I were to defrost 2 or 3 cubes of frozen food in a container and keep it in the fridge sealed between feedings how long would it be good for?

vqreefer
03/07/2019, 03:51 PM
If I were to defrost 2 or 3 cubes of frozen food in a container and keep it in the fridge sealed between feedings how long would it be good for?

I’ve heard a few days, maybe up to a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReefsandGeeks
03/08/2019, 10:18 AM
I typically notice a visual decline in thawed food quality after about 4 days. The water it's thawed in starts to get cloudy about that point. For this reason, I tend to only thaw out 3-4 days worth of food at a time. For me, this is typically pieces of whole shrimp, muscles, scallops, and squid. I suspect mysis would be very similar.

sde1500
03/08/2019, 11:10 AM
I try to do just 3 days max if I am defrosting cubes of mysis or something else. Any longer and it starts looking/smelling a bit funky.

dkeller_nc
03/08/2019, 04:55 PM
I guess I'm more conservative - I thaw out enough for that evening and the next day's feeding. Any leftovers get pitched. That's primarily mysis shrimp, which go South really quickly.

scattered
03/09/2019, 02:28 AM
Fish and house-guests spoil after three days.

MondoBongo
03/11/2019, 06:59 AM
i usually give it 2 - 3 days. typically starts to stink around the 3rd day, and then i like to change it out.

in most cases i doubt the freshness matters to the fish, but nutrients in food start to degrade quickly as it spoils.

HumbleFish
03/11/2019, 09:41 AM
I guess I'm more conservative - I thaw out enough for that evening and the next day's feeding. Any leftovers get pitched. That's primarily mysis shrimp, which go South really quickly.

^^ This

I've noticed the fish aren't as interested in eating next day's leftovers.

BonesCJ
03/12/2019, 11:07 AM
2 days so far and food smells good and fish are eating it. Will only defrost enough for 3-4 days at a shot. The reason I did this is a 1/4 cube of frozen is too little and a 1/2 cube is too much, also i have fish that prefer smaller bites and some that take anything, so I use a measure spoon to get a just right amount. Using fish eggs, mysis, marine cuisine and spirulina brine. Mixing them together as a mix seems to make everyone happy and I have less leftover food floating around.

PeterHall
03/12/2019, 01:34 PM
When i thaw out too much i just put it in the fridge amd feed it the next day. At room temperature it gets pretty ripe quickly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk