PDA

View Full Version : Chaeto/Sump

Mike62
03/24/2019, 01:09 PM
I am planning to add a sump to my saltwater tank, with chaeto in it, to control the nitrates. Currently my nitrates are high but not dangerously so (30-40ppm) but I would like to see them down as close to 0 as possible. I am also thinking about using AmQuel on the tank just before that, to go for the immediate reduction.
My question is, should I do both of these things, or just use the chaeto? Will using the Amquel rob the algae of food and thus starve it out? Can just the algae handle this issue?
Also, I am considering adding bio balls to the sump, in one of the baffle areas. Its my understanding that bio balls only work on ammonia and nitrite (both of which are 0 in my tank) and they would not be robbing the algae of food, is that correct?

Bill_Moorman
03/24/2019, 10:19 PM
The chaeto will not drop your nitrates that drastically. are you using RODI for water changes? How over are you doing WCs and what volume? What’s your feeding schedule look like?

Bio balls, when left alone, can become nitrate factories, which is counter productive to your chaeto addition. I’d veto those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nrdau
04/12/2019, 06:45 AM
The more you have the faster it can drop