PDA

View Full Version : Anthias

gareth.hubbarde
04/23/2019, 06:59 AM
Hello, I'm looking to stock my 80g aquarium in next few months and came across this species of fish. They sound interesting and look colourful (have been on liveaquaria lol. My question is if I wanted 3 or 4 of one species (for arguments sake Bartlett) is that OK in my size tank? Is there a reason some require big tanks of 125g or more? They dont seem that big. Anyway I'm aiming for 1 at least in my tank but thanks for your guidance.

300l juwel rio
40kg sand
40kg live rock
Tmc v2 skim 500 compact hob skimmer
1000lph filter pump
Filter floss
Carbon
2 x 2800 lph circulation pumps (fluval sea 3, hydor koralia 3200)

1 black sailfin blenny
1 purple firefish
1 one spot Foxface
2 percula clowns (pair)
1 strawberry conch
5 nassarius snails

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

s.katyarmal
04/23/2019, 07:40 AM
I have 4 of same species in my 90 gallons display tank however my sump is 60 gallons more water volume...they usually stay in the center of tank and always active and one of them plays peek a boo whenever I go near tank. They are definitely fun to watch. I think you should be okay with 3-4 try to get one of them bigger instead of all of same size so they don’t fight for domination with each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gareth.hubbarde
04/23/2019, 07:47 AM
I have 4 of same species in my 90 gallons display tank however my sump is 60 gallons more water volume...they usually stay in the center of tank and always active and one of them plays peek a boo whenever I go near tank. They are definitely fun to watch. I think you should be okay with 3-4 try to get one of them bigger instead of all of same size so they don’t fight for domination with each other.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWhich ones do you have?

s.katyarmal
04/23/2019, 08:10 AM
Bartlett

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle99
04/23/2019, 08:36 AM
Multiple Anthais ultize a pecking order mentality, so one, will always be at the bottom of the hierarchy. Sometimes in smaller waters, they are not accepted, and get pushed out with nowhere to go. These fish move fast with a super high metabolism so expect to feed them at least 3 times per day. Keep in mind the extra load in both feed and poop in your system.

I keep only one in my 70g for those reasons and he does quite well on his own.

If you go with the three, that would be IMO the limit of your stocking.

billdogg
04/24/2019, 07:35 AM
I have had great success with Lyretail Anthias in my 120DT. I have found them to be relatively easy to keep. They may be the only anthias sp. that don't require multiple feedings once established. I feed only once a day, usually NLS pellets that they gobble up without issue. I got mine all fairly small and allowed them to figure out who was going to become the male.

I find them to be a colorful, peaceful addition to a non-aggressive reef.

gareth.hubbarde
04/27/2019, 12:31 PM
I have had great success with Lyretail Anthias in my 120DT. I have found them to be relatively easy to keep. They may be the only anthias sp. that don't require multiple feedings once established. I feed only once a day, usually NLS pellets that they gobble up without issue. I got mine all fairly small and allowed them to figure out who was going to become the male.

I find them to be a colorful, peaceful addition to a non-aggressive reef.I read lyretail need a large tank, mine is 80g I think I read they need 125g. I think I'll go for 1 Bartletts, I'd like the lyretail but common sense says no.