PDA

View Full Version : How to fatten up yellow tang ?

PCguy21
04/24/2019, 07:25 PM
My 4 inch yellow tang is skin and bones. Mainly because 6 weeks ago when i got him he wouldnt eat for like 2 weeks due to ich. I Put him in hypo and a week later he started eating a little. Then he started eating alot but for only 3 days. As i had an ammonia spike and he went on a hunger strike again for a week.

So in essence for 3 weeks he ate nothing. I finally have things under control for the say 2 weeks now and hes been eating every day for 2 weeks. But i cant get him to gain weight. I can see his ribs and spine and even make out the shape of his organs.. I feed him 6 times a day sometimes more.

I feed a sheet of see weed i break up half in the water as he likes to eat it floating in the water vs clips... i feed omega one flakes with nori. I feed mysis occasionally as well as a few cubes of mysis brine and spirilina .

He eats all of it... and he isnt picky... But he wont gain weight.

All my other fish are extremely fat lol... Hell this yellow tang eats so much hell eat the nori poop from my naso tang its weird lol..

What should i do ? Also i turn my filters off to keep food floating around.. and i overfeed my tank like mad.

Should i feed more then 5 times ? It seems hell eat every 10 minutes lol

acso151
04/24/2019, 07:50 PM
That doesn’t sound right to me. I would assume another problem internally. I will be following.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PCguy21
04/24/2019, 08:35 PM
Well he was fat when i got him. But 3 weeks of not eating he went skinny..and hes been eating daily for around 2 weeks now and it diesnt look like he gained any weight

ggfrancis
04/25/2019, 12:06 AM
How many times are you feeding it?

PCguy21
04/25/2019, 10:58 AM
God too many. Like 5 or 6 times a day.

Like last night i fed him 4 times. 3 times with a pinch of flakes thst floatedcin the water for 5 minutes had filters off. Gave him 10 min breaks in between.. snd once eith a big chunk of nori that i break up in the water..

Today ive fed him twice so far.. once with flakes and once with nori.

Each time i turn the filters off snd come back 15 minater and turn them back on..

I guess ill feed more.. he seems to like the flakes more thrn the nori. I feed him omega one marine flakes the seafood blend

RioReefr
04/25/2019, 12:03 PM
Try some different types of Nori -- preferrably the unflavored kind.

Also, you can put a few droplets of this stuff on the food or Nori. It does work.

Garlic:

https://www.seachem.com/garlicguard.php

PCguy21
04/25/2019, 12:56 PM
Nori is nori.. Mine is just unflavored no preservative regular sushi paper.. I did try the red stuff.. no one touches it.

Hes eating it just he isnt gaining weight thats the issue. I have garlic guard i suppose ill put some on the nori before i put it in to see if he eats more lol

ggfrancis
04/25/2019, 02:47 PM
Try frozen mysis and blood worms.

nereefpat
04/25/2019, 03:31 PM
I agree mysis and nori should be the staple, and it sounds like you're feeding plenty.

It could be that it hasn't been enough time. 2 weeks isn't very long.

Another possibility could be internal parasites like worms. Have you used prazi-pro?

ggfrancis
04/25/2019, 07:14 PM
I agree mysis and nori should be the staple, and it sounds like you're feeding plenty.

Another possibility could be internal parasites like worms. Have you used prazi-pro?

Maybe the flakes are not enough. Try adding pellets, spectrum brand is usually good.

PCguy21
04/25/2019, 08:43 PM

I did try it as i suspect my naso has black ich... but the 24hrs after i used it my fish got bloated.. naso tangs almost turned inside out it was weird.. they stopped eating.. my anthias died.. fish became lethargic... so i stopped... either it reacted with hypo or something else..

But i plan try prazi again once im done with hypo.

I do have omega one pellets but they dont touch em. The tellow tang devours mysis though.. Hell eat nori occasionally like sifting through for certain peices... Hell gobble flakes like mad.. and myssis but i dont feed mysis daily. Like today i fed 8 times.

I noticed hell devour the flakes.. after 2 min the remaining flakes i guess become too water logged and he spits it out.. if u add more flakes in 5 min later hell devour them again.. so ive been trying to do that.. feed.. wait 10 min. Feed. Wait 10 min feed agai .. and repeat.

And he keeps eating. Will mysis fatten him up ? I heard nysis isnt very nutricious

Maybe 2 weeks isnt enough time to notice anything ? Ill keep feeding.. i just hope it diesnt pollute my water with nitrates... i have no corals in this tank.. they are in my 20g going fallow.... so i dont care about phophates... ect..

And i welcome algae growing on my rocks so my tangs and fox can graze on it

wrott
04/26/2019, 11:28 AM
Get an auto feeder like Intelli-feed to feed flakes every hour.
You could try medicated frozen food--it sounds like infection. Check at Premium Aquatics.

Uncle99
04/26/2019, 11:40 AM
Assuming no internal metabolic problems, High protein pellets, the situation will not fix itself overnight.
It may take months to get him back to fatness......
He's eating!
But I would stick to normal feeding times or you may create an unwanted pattern....

PCguy21
04/26/2019, 01:02 PM
Well i increased feedings like i did.. I actually nanaged to get his belly kinda large this time. Going to keep trying this see what happens. Normally i can see his intestines despite feeding.. nothing is pinched but nothing is filled either.. last night he seemed filled and no putlining of his intestines this time.

Good idea on automatic feeder.. i was thinking to myself how am i gonna keep up feeding so much i cant be there every hour lol.. forgot about those feeders

wrott
04/26/2019, 01:14 PM
I use 2 of those Intelli feed during vacation for the last 2 years, worked great.
Read programming instructions, let me know if you have problems w/ it.
Usually a fish would start gaining wt after 2-3 weeks of eating every day. Good luck!
Use Selcon if you can.